Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

02 raPtor..clunking noise chain

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 raPtor..clunking noise chain

Oh, well nevermind on my thought.

But, that cover that is covering the front sprocket is easily removed. If there is nothing in there, then it is the bearings. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Z

Old 11-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

How many bearings are there? How much do they cost, and are they expensive? Wow.. I ate way to much today, I love Thanksgiving..Thanks again.
Dan

Old 11-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

finny check your private messages

Old 11-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Speedy2222
Originally posted by: BassBlaster
I had the same noise on mine only I thought it was coming from the tranny. It was the axle bearings. When they go out the axle shifts to an angle and the chain binds on the front sprocket making the noise your hearing. It is an easy fix and cheap as well. I got my new bearings on ebay for $26.00 including shipping. That was front bearings and seals and rear bearings and seals. If that is your problem, get a sealed bearing. The stock bearings are not a sealed bearing, just have a seal outside the housing. If you don't have a Clymer manual then get one. Best tool you can buy. If you deside not to get a manual then I can explain it to you but like I said it is the best tool you can buy and you will find that you use it all the time. If the axle has never been off then it will be a pain to get off but it's really not that big a deal.

Someone said that you should have 1/2 inch of slack in your chain when sitting on the quad. The amount of slack is going to change depending on the wait of the rider. To properly adjust the chain the rear end should be off the ground and you should have about an inch of slack in the chain. This is not going to do you any good at this point though if you have bad bearings.

in the manual it says 1/2 to 3/4 of slack when sittinn on it... it doesn't matter what you're weight is.. it still should be the same
I'm looking at the Clymer manual right now.
Drive Chain Adjustment

The drive chain must have adequate play so it can adjust to the actions of the swingarm when the machine is in use. Too little play can cause the chain to be excessively tight and cause unnecessary wear to the driveline components. Too much play can cause excessive looseness and possibly cause the chain to derail.
1. Support the machine under the frame so the rear wheel is off the ground and the susspention is extended.
2. Rotate the rear wheel and determine when the chain is tightest along it's top length(least amount of play).
3.Measure the freeplay in the top length of chain(Figure 35). The required amount of free play is 30-45 mm (1.2-1.8 in.).
4. If necessary, adjust the chain as follows:

Okay thats all of it I'm going to type but it says nowhere about freeplay when sitting on the quad. Not saying your wrong but I've never seen that anywhere. Also if the slack is for movements of the swingarm then the weight of the rider would determine how much slack is in the chain. The amount of slack when suspention is fully extended and then fully compressed is different so a fat feller like myself is going to compress the suspention more than a little feller and change the amount of slack.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

I have the manual. Is there an actual step by step for the bearings or do I just look under the drive chain adjustment.. Thanks
Dan

Old 11-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Range Rover

After looking at the problem again, I realized that the noise isnt always there its only every few seconds. I dont know if this helps at all. Thanks again.
Dan

Old 11-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

Just got off the phone with the dealer and it wont be cheap for them to repair the bearings. one place told me 340 and another told me 235..

Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

If you have the Clymer manual, look on page 224. It tells you step by step how to tear the rear end apart and change the bearings. I got my bearings on ebay for around $26 that was front and rear bearings, seals and shipping. And it was sealed bearings. Stock bearings are not sealed. It's not that hard to do yourself.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

stock bearings are sealed...

also.. you if u want to use unsealed bearings( like i did) tap the bearing carrier and put a zer kin it.. the bearings will last alot longer if u you do it like this... and it's really easy to replace rear bearings..

Old 11-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Range Rover

The bearings that I took out of my quad were not sealed. They had a little metal plate that covered one side of them and the other sides were left wide open for all the dirt and water to get in there and wash out the grease. The new bearings I put in were a true sealed bearing that was sealed on both sides of the bearing.

Quick Reply: 02 raPtor..clunking noise chain