Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 raPtor..clunking noise chain

was there seals ??

Old 11-25-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Fellas, once again simple first. Finny, is your front sprocket missing teeth or really worn out? How is the nut holding the front sprocket? tight? Next, is your chain worn out, is their a lot of play side to side. Next is your rear sprocket worn out (lets you chain bounce). If your still running the stock chain and sprockets they most likely all need to be changed. If these are all good THEN we can start to look at axcell bearings, trannys, etc.... Before you tear everything apart and go nuts, check the simple things first.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Well there is some play side to side in the chain. And there is also more than half an inch play when I pull the chain up from the middle. I havent been able to pull the cover off the front sprocket yet because the foot shifter , heel guard, and peg are all in the way of the second screw. I will try tomorrow. The rear sprocket looks to be fine, i looked at some pics of worn sprockets and mine looks ok. Thanks for all the support. Could the noise be cause by an chain that needs to be replaced? Or a chain that is too loose?
Dan

Old 11-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2005 raptor 350 my after about a month maybe a month i started hearing a crunching sound from my front sproket as i rode and is still doing it well oiled or not i just ignore it and this is a year+ latter just ride it.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

A worn out chain might make a clunking sound. Most likely if the chain is worn out it is chewing up the sprockets which then will allow the sliping or partial slipping that can make a bad noise. Listen, like I said, if you haven't replaced the chain/sprocket do that. Even if it doesn't cure your problem, it needs to be done. My point with this problem, or any problem is always start with the simplest thing first. If your running bad, don't tear up the top end, before you check whether your choke is on. And with your problem, don't tear apart the rear end, before you check the chain/sprocket. However someone did give you the advise to buy a Clymer manual. They were dead on, these manuals are invaluable.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Range Rover

I bought the manual, it seems to have a tone of information. Maybe I will just try and tighten the chain today and see if that makes a differance. How much would it cost to rplace the chain and sprockets anyway. I am not sure if they are original or not. I only know that the rear sprocket looks like its in ok condition. Thanks alot for all the input, I am going to spend the day trying to figure this out.
Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Range Rover

Hey 2fast, you cannot be telling me the truth about ignoring a crunching sound from your sprocket are you? If so, arent you worried about protecting your investment, especially since it's an 05? I dont know much about atv's other than your supposed to keep up with your routine maitenence, but that sounds crazy..Thanks for your input though.
Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

Well I am in the process of trying to figure this issue out and I noticed that the rear sprocket and the whole chain will move side to side and back and fourth when the quad is in place. It wont move alot but will move like a half inch. Not sure if this will help anyone diagnose my problem.Thanks again to anyone who can offer help.
Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Range Rover

Off too the shop..haha...Well its safe too say that I am mechananicly inclined. After 2 frustrating hours of trying to figure out the chain or sprocket issue its safe to say I got no where.. I am actually more confused now about it. I actually think after looking at it for awhile that the chain is just loose. I did jack up the rear end. When I did so I was spinning the tires and watching the chain. I noticed that the left side of the axle and tire moved slightly almost like it wasnt tight. When I attempted to try and move the right side it would not. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. None the less the quad is loaded up and I am bringing it into the shop today...Thanks for the help.
Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: finny6944
Hey 2fast, you cannot be telling me the truth about ignoring a crunching sound from your sprocket are you? If so, arent you worried about protecting your investment, especially since it's an 05? I dont know much about atv's other than your supposed to keep up with your routine maitenence, but that sounds crazy..Thanks for your input though.
Dan
Nope no joke i take full care of her change oil every 5-6 rides or 15-20 hours of ride time depends on the condition of my rides dusty or not keep my chain tight drilled me a hole to put a grease zerk in the bearing carrier I grease everything i can do all i can do.But the chain just wont stop i checked it out to the fullest its running straight and my rear bearings are good only 3-4 months old no slack so next step lube the chain and ride i let it bother me for a month or so riding down the road with my head down by the front sproket listneing got tired of worrying so now i ride lol im fully capable of working on atv's been riding for a whille but as i said ive been riding with this sound for a year plus now sooo wat do ya do ya know if it was anything to bad by now and the way i ride something would have failed. But let me know how your trip to the dealer turns out good luck. JEREMY

Quick Reply: 02 raPtor..clunking noise chain