Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bent Warrior axle - straighten or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent Warrior axle - straighten or replace?

Bent the axle on the Warrior the other day. Not really bad, maybe 1" out. Will it be more susceptable to bending again after we straighten it with a press? Used ones don't seem too terribly expensive, but why spend any $ if the straightened one will perform decently. Note, this is more of a putt around quad for family and neighbors in need of a ride, so it doesn't get the use and abuse my KingQuad does.

Thanks.

- G

Old 12-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

if u are jumping or anyithng like that.. i'd suggest just replacing it...

Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with speedy. It depends on how careful you ride, and what caused it to bend to begin with. Because after straightening it, it will be weaker than it was before, so it will bend even easier. If it just got bent in a crash or something, not jumping it too hard or anything like that, then you can probably get away with pressing it straight again, although it will probably never be truly straight, just less wobbly than it is now. If it was in the same situation i'd try straightening it first.

Hopefully you can even get the thing out of the carrier. Mine's fairly new and the first time I took it out was a horrible experience. Being 20 years old, I can only imagine how bad that thing may be seized in there. If the bearings still seem to be in reasonably good shape, I would just unbolt the entire carrier and try to straighten the axle with the carrier still mounted.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

I rarely jump and when I do, it's not more than a couple feet in the air.

It got bent when my neighbor was riding it up a wooded climb and the right rear tire caught on the end of a 6-7" diam sawed off fallen tree. Rapidly spun the bike to the right, throwing him off into the trail. He didn't even notice that it was bent after that. A guy was behind him and saw it wobbling a little.

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward the straightening option too. Leaving it in the carrier is a good idea. That would be great if we could avoid tearing out the bearings, etc.

- G

Old 12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

mine is alittle bent to, and i ride about as rough as you it seems. i've been riding mine bent almost a year and it hasnt gotten worse or anything. if it doesnt mess up your ability to steer, i wouldnt worry to much unless it gets worse. And i think you can have axles straightened at places, it might be worth it, considering by a used one like u suggested could be in just as bad of shape, hense why its for sale.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:26 AM
Pro Rider

not trying to make this a classified post but i have a warrior i am parting out and i do have an axle if anyone is interested. pm me for details if you need an axle or parts.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I bought a 1997 Warrior that had a very bent axle.I heated it with a torch and bent it back straight without even taking it off the bike.I rode it like that for about a year and never had any problems.I ride pretty hard and give the Warrior all it can stand.I jump a few jumps around our local trails.I ended up replacing the axle with a Durablue just in case.I also ruined the bearing carrier trying to get the axle out.I replaced it with a billet dual row carrier and it was money well spent!

Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

My buddie bent his and got it straightened up at the stealership and they charged him 60bucks.If yourgoingto go that route you may as well spring the extra 140 and get the +4 durablue with the lifetime warentee. Stock Warrior axles always bend like crazy and it will happen again. There are some tricks to getting a siezed up axle out but sometimes its not worth it and if thats the case the roundhouse style carrier is always the best way to go.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Are you sure it's the axel and not the rim? Maybe both?

Old 12-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

At first, we thought it was the rim, but upon closer inspection, the axle's out like 1".

Quick Reply: bent Warrior axle - straighten or replace?