Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 warrior hard starting (timing maybe?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 warrior hard starting

Sometimes it starts, sometimes it don't. I have spark, I have compression (115 PSI), I have fuel on the plug.

Is it possible that the timing chain is slipping a tooth here and there, going out of time and then when I keep trying and trying and trying, it actually slips a tooth here and there again and brings itself back into time and then starts up?

When I get it started, I can go for a ride with no problems. When I shut it off, sometimes it will start back up and sometimes it won't. Also, when it sits there idling, sometimes I can hear a slow down in idle speed and when this happens I can hear a noise somewhere in the engine that sounds like it could be the timing chain perhaps jumping.

Whadda ya think? This problem is really getting to me. It seems like, at least most of the time, if I pull the spark plug and run it over a wire wheel and put it back in, it starts right up. It don't make sense to me. The plug isn't fouled. It is the brown/tan color like it should be. Not black and wet with oil or nothing. The only time the plug gets wet is when I'm turning it over when it won't start. I pull the plug and it is a little wet with gas, that's it. So, I know it's getting fuel and I check for spark and it's getting spark. Hmmmmmmm.......I need some advice before I light it on fire. Thanks!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 99 warrior hard starting (timing maybe?)

If the timing chain was loose enough to jump a tooth, you would be able to tell just from listening to it. And if it jumped a tooth, it wouldn't just magically jump back and correct itself, it would keep getting worse because the cam always spins the same direction.

I have 2 ideas. There could be a valve getting stuck partially open. It could also be a failing stator that's working intermittently. When it throws a fit and won't start, that's when you need to check for compression and spark. We already know it's getting fuel because it's getting the plug wet.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Trailblazer

I have checked the compression and spark during it's fit. Both good. Like I said, when it's idling and I hear that slow down in idling, I also hear some kind of noise coming from the engine somewhere at that precise time.

If I shut it off, it might start 10 times in a row in a short period of time if I shut it off and keep starting it and then all of a sudden it won't start. Something I have noticed is....when it won't start suddenly, as I'm turning it over, I get a short blast like it wants to start and then I hear that noise I'm talking about and then it's done until I pull plug and run it over the wire wheel. It's not a bad plug either, because I have tried new plugs. They should last longer than a couple starts.

I guess it could be something with the valves, but I'm not sure. This one has me baffled.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I guess nobody else has had this problem. I guess I bought someone elses problems.