Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

typical warrior sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typical warrior sputtering

i have an 87 warrior that sputters and tries to die after about half throttle, i've cleaned the carb thuroughly about 8 times, nothings usually plugged and everything seems to be in proper working condition...its been like this since i got it and its getting kind of annoying, how can i eliminate this problem?

Old 12-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like a jetting issue, because at half throttle the main jet starts to take effect, sounds a little lean, mabe go up a jet size or so until the sputtering goes away. Good luck

Old 12-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

when it starts doing it.. slowly pull the choke out.,... if it stops.. something is fk'd up in the carb... if it doesn't then you have sometihng fk'd up i nthe carb... i'd say check your tubes and check everywhere... to see if there is an air leak or not..

Old 12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

make it easy on yourself and get an edelbrock. You won't have this problem again.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen these warriors do this at higher revs than half throttle but it will not hurt to try this.There is an electrical wire that runs into the clutch handle bracket.You can cut this wire and see if that solves your problem.If you cut the wire and your bike will not start then just wire the two wires that are in there back together and see that helps your sputtering problem.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

ok, speedy, i dont get what ur saying, becuase how u said it, either way, its screwed up, if u could refraise that, maybe that would help, however, it doesnt send me in the right direction as to which PART of the carb isnt right. recon, i know, but i'm poor, and qwoder, sounds like a good tip, but i think it would kill the motor long before it does when i ride it, i can still get it to about half throttle before it starts.

thanks for the tips, much appreciated, any other input?

Old 12-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Like speedy was getting at, try pulling out the choke a little bit when it's doing the sputtering thing, and see if it runs better. The choke adds extra fuel to the mix, so if the choke makes it better, then you're probably too lean in the ranges that it sputters.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know why cutting this wire works but the times i've seen it done the 4-wheelers were reved alot more past half throttle when they were sputtering.wont cost anything to try.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

i think its because its to late...anyone have an idea what to jet too? its all stock...everything...sadly.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it's all stock, then there's probably something else that's causing it. A few things i'm thinking of are an air leak between the carb and intake port, an air leak between the carb and airbox, or a clogged air filter. If you can't seem to find any problems in those areas, do a plug chop at the rpm's it's sputtering at and see if it's too lean or rich.

Quick Reply: typical warrior sputtering