Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Someone explain the adjustable springs to me

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone explain the adjustable springs to me

Originally posted by: recon99
Stiffer springs will give you better ability to soak up big bumps and jumps. They also decrease body roll and increase stability, so it'll corner better. On the downside, on rough trails the stiffer suspension can slow you down because it sends you bouncing all over the place and beats the hell out of you, where with softer suspension your wheels would have more of a tendency to articulate over the rocks instead of pogo-sticking over them. Of course with softer suspension, you can't jump as high and can't corner as quick, but at the end of the day your body will thank you. Overly stiff suspension can really beat you up in a day of riding.
he said rocks and mud. nothign about jumping or raceing. id stay a lil softer

Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

I stiffened my springs by one click. The reason is I am a pretty big boy, ok, maybe not pretty, but about 270lbs. The stiffer spring setting helped in off camber riding, and cornering. The spring rate for me on the stiffer setting is probably like the factory for most of your average size rider. 175lbs. to 200lbs. Also if you intend to carry a large load on your racks I would increase the sping setting, as the spring is shortened it increases the spring rate, and compression rate, but you would lose some in the spring travel, but probably wouldn't notice in normal riding. I believe that there are some aftermarket springs for stock shocks. There even some dual rate spring out there, soft until you get the spring compressed, then much stiffer the more it is compressed. Check HiLifter, I think I saw some on there.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

Well I do absolutely NO racing or fast driving (only on the street). I do however flip and roll my 4wheeler when I'm riding sometimes. I almost at least turn it over every time I ride it. But this is normally no faster than 5 or 10mph. Would you guys suggest stiffer or softer shocks?? I also bottem out a lot when riding over large rocks in the rivers.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Seriously just experiment with the different settings.

And how the heck do you manage to flip the thing over almost every time you ride it when you don't even ride fast? I've always pushed my machines to the limits racing in trails and stuff like that, and rarely have one tip over, even narrow stock machines. Do you know how to lean into a corner? lol sorry, I can't figure this one out.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Because I don't ride around on flat dirt. I rock crawl alot and even though you're only going 2mph...you're leaning SO MUCH that you just fall over. There are a lot of big trees where I live and have some pretty big roots. Try hitting one of those the wrong way when you're trail riding. We also have a lot of rivers and small creeks that we forge through. The rivers around here have some pretty big rocks that get pretty slippery. We slide off rocks and flip into the water several times when riding all day long. I guess you guys just ride circles in the backyard.

I've had a 06 Kodiak 450 for only about 5 months now that has over 900 miles already and I've spent over $3000 is repairs from turning over, flipping, or just pushing my bike far beyond the limits. I've broken flywheels, axels, racks, several lights, handlebars, ALL of my skid plates, shifter, pretty much you name it.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like you just go around looking for ways to break things. I ride on some very technical, rocky trails at times, but I know my limits, and avoid the stuff that you seem to lack the sense to avoid. $3000 in repairs in 5 months is pretty ridiculous.