Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wrecked my wolverine......bad, i think

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked my wolverine......bad, i think

So here goes... I went out for a ride with my nephew, teaching him the joy of the sport, when I figured he was good to go on his own. next thing I know, he's in up to the handle bars in some hardpack snow, and digging deeper. It took the winch to get it out, packed full of snow. After loading it up and riding around for a few days in the back of the truck, I went to unload it . The front end was froze c**k stiff, and the truck box was covered in motor oil. Finally got it into the garage, got the ice out of it , and found it leaking from the seal to the front drive shaft. As well, it seems to act like the parking brake is on, and it shifts directly from first to reverse, no neutral or using the rev. switch. I'm hoping the last bit is the result of being low on motor oil, I didn't want to fill it up and leak out just to test this theory. Any one have suggestions, either on the seal job or the rev./p.b. rpm limiter ( or if I should let the boy drive it again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]).

Old 12-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Man that sucks. Sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do. Parking brake is easy. Just follow the cables and make sure they arent pulled. To me though honestly, it doesnt sound like a parking brake problem. I dont know though because I am not the one looking at it, I am not doubting you. It sounds more to me like your reverse switch is broke. That causes the shifting you described.

Seals arent that bad, just depends on exactly which one it is. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, it'll be a pain in the @$$, the garage isn't heated and it'll be about -20 when I tackle it. I wouldnt mind if its just a simple outer seal and a reverse switch inside the engine. I'll get back in a couple weeks, fill ya in then.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

When mine gets cold the reverse cable sticks causing the same thing, I would adjsut it and try to lube the cable.