Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster not kicking over check it over and....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster not kicking over check it over and....

ok i need some help guys. thanks in advance. i tore apart the motor. and the motor was spitting oil. But then it locked up like it didnt have enuff when i just checked it. But i think the main bearing is locked. some diesle was accedently ran thru for about an 1/2 hour. And i was just wondering if ne one has any idea what might be causeing not to kick over? the cylinder has not gashes or anything and i honed it. i need a new piston tho. please help

Old 01-03-2007, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Go back to the basics
1. Fresh gas
2. Compression test
3. Choke
4. Clean carbs
5. New plug
Are you giving it a little gas when you kick it over?
Do you mean you think the crank bearing is shot?

If you had the motor ripped apart that far, you might as well just bore it out and throw new pistons and rods in it.... Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

First off, why does it "need" a new piston? It sounds like it siezed in the cylinder and gaulded the piston. The bearings could be bad, along with the rod bearings since they didn't have oil for a period of time.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

the top crank bearing in the top of the crank t is good. But The piston has some gashes in it so it needs to be replaced. But it just wont kick over. its got oil and all of that. but the bottom end is not getting lubricated and i think it ate the bearings. But just looking for some reasons y it would be locked up.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

I assume you realize the crank does not run in oil. It uses the oil in the gas to lube the crank bearings, and rod bearings. You mentioned that you ran the wrong fuel, and that could cause the problems your stating. Another thing is if it broke part of the piston skirt off and it got wedged under the crank against the cases. If that is a possibilty, do not kick it over until you get the pc's out!! That is known to blow the bottom out of the cases. (that is a common problem, pistons breaking that is.)
We broke the skirt off ours late last year. It locked it up tight. I took the top end off, took the piston out (what was left of it) then hung the quad upside down and washed the bottom end out with mineral sprits. Then I used high pressure air and the spirits and washed it out again. Then used a cheap motor oil and washed it out again. Then to make sure I didn't have and cracks in the bottom end, I put a quart of good motor oil it the bottom end and let it set for a day. No leakage was found, so I dumped the oil out and put it all back together. It smoked like a freight train for awhile, but at least I knew the crank and all had a good coat of oil before I ever started it up.
Its just a thought. You might try taking the head back off and pushing the piston up and down and check if its hitting on something.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

What do you mean it was spitting oil? Was it coming out of the silencer? When the diesel was ran through it did it have oil mixed in it? Are you still running the oil injection. Anyways it might be a good time to try one of the new stroker cranks by Hot Rods or Vitos, if you have to replace the main bearings

Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't understand how it could have been runing on diesel for half an hour. A blaster couldn't run on diesel for 5 seconds, unless it was diluted with gas to the point that there might as well not be any at all in it.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: recon99
I don't understand how it could have been runing on diesel for half an hour. A blaster couldn't run on diesel for 5 seconds, unless it was diluted with gas to the point that there might as well not be any at all in it.
Im guessing he had some gas in the tank then added diesel fuel on accident.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Yes i had about 1 1/2 gallons of gas in there and i was going on a trail ride and i grabbed a gas can that was labled unleaded and dumped it in but it was diesle so it mixed together. but it ran for about 30 minutes before it locked up. Im running the injection system. I had the oil tank about 4/5's full. the piston is whole. but the bottom end was not lubed the crank etc., but i had the stated amount in the manual in the motor. almost a full quart. oil somehow was getting on the front end on the sterring stem, a arms, all over up in the front i think it was from the breather hose.