Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How to pump up Raptor Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading in manual the Raptor can run on 86 octane gas. I regular run 92 myself. I was wondering what ways we can pump up the engine to take advantage of the higher octane gas. The only way I know is to mill the head and up the compression. Has anyone done this yet? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 12-14-2000, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

I run VP Red in mine which is about 5$ a gallon but the engine lasts longer because its a cleaner burn. The octane rating is at 104 and the engine absolultey runs better. Or atleast I have convinved myself that it does.

Old 12-14-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Go for it, I for one dont want to risk 5 titanium valves getting bent yet?

Old 12-14-2000, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

YOUR RAPTOR IS SET UP FROM THE FACTORY TO RUN IT'S OPTIMIZE POWER ON REGULAR FUEL. IF YOU RUN
ANYTHING HIGHER MIGHT MAKE IT RUN SLUGGISH AND
MAYBE SOOT UP VALVES,PISTON DOMES AND EXHAUST.
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO RUN HIGHER OCT. GO FOR
HIGHER COMPRESSION PISTON AND FIND AND AFTERMARKET
IGNITION TO ADVANCE THE TIMING.(FACTORYDIRECTPERF.
COM)

Old 12-15-2000, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

loafie is right if you run higher octane it is going to leave unburned deposits on the
valve, piston, head, and valve stems causing a disturbed air flow in extreme cases!!
The high octane fuel burns harder and has additives that a low compression engine just
simply won't burn off. I am very interested to see what will happen with head work
and higher compression on one of these things!!

Old 12-16-2000, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Does the Raptor have titanium valves? I know the new Yamaha dirt bikes do. But does the Raptor? Just curious.

Old 12-16-2000, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer

But if your in the north you should run 93 in your machine. 86 octane has more water and with the small fuel lines they can freeze overnight. You folk in the south can run whatever you want.

Old 12-16-2000, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Actually higher octane fuel burns cooler than lower octane fuel. This is why when you increase compression that you burn higher octane to prevent detonation from occuring which basically means melting the top end. Go by the recommended
factory rating octane number unless you have made modificatons which require a higher number.Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-16-2000, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think so...

Old 12-17-2000, 03:19 AM
Trailblazer

The manual calls for pump octane number([R+M]/2) of 86 or research octane number of 91. Different gas stations use different methods to determine octane rating which is usually posted on the pump somewhere. Check your pump. Actually higher octane gas is the same as lower octane gas it just has additives to make the octane rating higher. Higher octane wont make your engine run better unless you need it. It also doesnt have less water in it. The difference in octanes is flame propogation. Detonation occurs when the fuel fires way before the piston reaches the top trying to force the piston back down the opposite way causing a loss of power. Low octane fuel will combust easier and burn faster than high octane. It can combust like a diesel when higher compression ratios occur. This is what makes a diesel run.....22:1 or so compression ratios and no spark. Higher octane fuel resists combustion therefore resisting combustion somewhat to high compression ratios. I researched this because I race sportbikes..(Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa)..I found several articles on this including one that tested about 10 different fuels on a stock bike and found that the $23 per gallon fuels made less hp. than the pump gas. They did find that some of the oxygenated fuels did produce another hp. or so but was hardly worth the extra cost.

Quick Reply: How to pump up Raptor Octane