Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Anyone ever own Carbon Fiber Wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering buying carbon fiber wheels for my Raptor but never owned anything but aluminum. How does the weight and strength of carbon fiber compare to aluminum? Has anyone purchased any from Hyper Technology Inc.? Their advertizement is on page 119 of the January 2001 DirtWheels. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 12-15-2000, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

i don't have the rims but they look freakin sweet. they should weigh less than aluminum and be stronger too but i dunno for sure. i'm gonna be getting a carbon fiber skid plate (custom built by my dad) for my quad. he brought me home some of the material very light...REALLY strong. i belive their website is http://www.hipertechnology.com

Old 12-16-2000, 02:13 AM
Range Rover

i want to see a real pic not the computer pic... one of them on quads

Old 12-18-2000, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

The only problem I can see is Carbon fiber and other composits don't bend when you over-stress them they break. It could make for a long walk not a wobbly ride home. Also deep scratches will eventually turn into rips if you don't apply some sort of hardcoat to it. At least that was the two drawbacks to carbon fiber Mt. bikes. I had a friend who had one and he used to go overit if he crashed on a ride and fix the spots I think with "liqued nails" or somthing similar. If you don't ride in really rocky areas this shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-18-2000, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a carbon fiber mountain bike that I race down hill events with, if you have ever seen this type of racing you know it is very rough on equipment. The two drawbacks the guy mentions before me are not drawbacks. Many times carbon fiber will take abuse better than aluminum. Aluminum will bend where carbon fiber will usually spring back. The only problem I could see is if you had a major incident, one where the aluminum wheel would have been severely mangled but you could at least limp home, the carbon fiber will most likely shatter. I have owned my share of carbon fiber parts from handle bars to wheels and think they are great products. If you get a set tell us what you think.

Old 12-19-2000, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

zaskar

How much do you weigh? I race downhill sport class here on the east coast. I ride a SPOOKY Project X. straight-gauged aluminum tubing, MR DIRT FORK 6061 . I am 270 pounds. I can probobly wreck your carbon fiber bike in one ride. all of the carbon fiber stuff i have seen breaks and snaps like twigs on the mountain. I would never even think about carbon fiber! If you weigh 140 pounds then maybe. Metal is the only way to go. As sweet as a material carbon fiber is..it should stick to limited use. thermoplastic..........thats even worst.....if i had a nickle for every GT LOBO have i seen with a broken frame..

2001 Blue raptor
White Bros Pipe
Yamaha shock covers
soon TK
Durablue adjustable axle
MAXXIS WHEELS FRT and REAR

Old 12-20-2000, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

I,m not too shure on this, but doesn't carbon fiber flake and peel if it takes a hard hit? That might be the only drawback to thease sweet looking wheels.

Old 12-20-2000, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

I have the HyperTech carbon fiber wheels paid for(last month actually) and on the way. I have been told I will be recieving them any day know(probably two weeks). I ride mountain trails mostly. That will be the most harsh enviornment for them. I will give you all a report ASAP. At first they made it sound like I would be receiving them right away but when I talked to them last they where retooling their assembly area. I also have Douglas .190's for a backup just in case. I'm pretty stoked. Let ya all know how they work.

Old 12-17-2002, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Anyone ever own Carbon Fiber Wheels???

Heh did ya every get those hiper tech wheels I'm thinking of getting them thanks