Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

14t front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14t front sprocket

i want some opinions on putting a 14 tooth front sprocket on my stock 2006 raptor 350

Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I wouldnt recommend it on a stock 350. The stock engine doesnt really have enough power to pull it. If all you want is top speed, go for it, but it will take forever to get there! With an exhaust, filter and jet kit, you could probably pull it off.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Raptor450
I wouldnt recommend it on a stock 350. The stock engine doesnt really have enough power to pull it. If all you want is top speed, go for it, but it will take forever to get there! With an exhaust, filter and jet kit, you could probably pull it off.

OOOKK,
My son has a 05 350 Raptor. First off the stock is 13 tooth so the 14 will give him more low end. I dropped to a 12 on his and it still pulls very strong and is a bit faster on the top end, of coarse. It's all 100% stock.

Getting a 14 will definately give you some good creeping and crawling low end and Reverse will be even more unbearably slow.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

.....ive read that if you go down on the front you loose top end but gain bottom end .......

Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

when you go down on the front you gain more pick up but lose top end if you go up in the front you gain top speed but will take off slower.

and the rules are opposite for the rear sprocket

Old 02-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally posted by: streetcar2try

OOOKK,
My son has a 05 350 Raptor. First off the stock is 13 tooth so the 14 will give him more low end. I dropped to a 12 on his and it still pulls very strong and is a bit faster on the top end, of coarse. It's all 100% stock.

Getting a 14 will definately give you some good creeping and crawling low end and Reverse will be even more unbearably slow.
OOOKK, you need to do your math. If you RAISE the FRONT gear, that will make the front gear larger, which will turn the REAR sprocket FASTER. This ADDS top end speed, but takes away bottom end get-up-&-go. If you LOWER the FRONT gear that will turn the REAR sprocket SLOWER, which adds bottom end, but takes away top end speed. You have it all backwards and youre the only one Ive EVER heard say what you said. Trust me, Im not a COMPLETE idiot and Ive been around ATVs a long time, and I have ALWAYS gone up 1 tooth in the front after I do a few horsepower add-ons because I like more top speed. If your sons Raptor is faster on top end by putting on a 12 tooth front sprocket I will drive to Kentucky to kiss your @ss.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

PedroF is right.A bigger sprocket on front gives you more topend.A bigger sprocket on front will lower your power on bottom end.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

LOL gezzz I know some of yall have coverd it but yes ---down in the front=more bottom ----------up in the rear= more bottom ---And as for the 14 tooth it will have no proble pulling that it wont be a wheelie poping monster but it will easily pull it i hear of people running 15 tooth fronts which i know mine would pull it but i ride only tight trail's so im going to stick with my 12/40 gearing which killed some top end but i have enough bottom end now too tow a atv of equal weight with no problem....

Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: streetcar2try

OOOKK,

please stop tlaking out of your ***

#1 smaller front gearing = less topend more accel(stock)
#2 larger frotn gearing= more topend slower accel(stock)
#3 a 14t or a 12t on a stock warrior is usless unless all you do is either never get out of 3rd or are only in 6th..
#4 it's not faster... you are just riding in tighter trails

i can pull a 14tooth no problem with my mods..
13tooth is ideal for stock gearing.. especially if u ride alot of tight trails like i do..

you mgiht want to search "gearing" and do some research

Old 02-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well, first my apologies to the smartass. I was wrong but I was also awake for 36+ hours and had just got done swapping the sprockets on my sons Raptor. It was a 14T we went to, not a 12. I had to ask my son to make sure. It's been over 20 years since I played with quads or bikes. Now I deal in 700+ hp smallblocks, so I am just trying to get back into it.

Quick Reply: 14t front sprocket