Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I read about this subject before in this forum but can not find where. The problem is when doing a wheely for a long distance the Raptor will lose power like it is running out of gas. Can anybody give me some ideas that may cause this? I am thinking that the floats in the carbs are in need of adjusting. Has anybody else had this problem?

Old 12-17-2000, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

mine did stall when I landed off of a couple jumps, has to be in the float bowl, DO they have a splash guard in there?

w w w . geocities . c o m/raptorterry

Old 12-17-2000, 01:25 AM
Range Rover

Finally this problem is being noticed. Yes my Raptor sputters and stalls if I wheelie it straight up and down and also when landing from jumps. I don't jump it any more because it stalled once on a landing from a jump and it has so much compression that the back wheels locked up and I almost went over the bars. When I read all the magazine reviews and saw people's feedback on this site about riding Raptors on motocross tracks no one seemed to be having this problem. But you guys are the first ones to mention it. I am still not sure if this is a design flaw and these poeple are not really jumping and landing as hard as they say or if it is a problem with only a few machines. I would sure like to know of a fix for this. I'm not really interested in letting the dealer go through my machine to try and figure it out.

Old 12-17-2000, 04:28 AM
Trailblazer

RaptorRRC,

Yes, I to have experienced the same problem when doing long duration wheelies. I personally thought that either the bowl floats are too low or the overflow vents are located too low and allow fuel to run out of the vent tubes. Haven't talked to the dealer yet, but I just started noticing it; It seems to have gotten worse or it just became apparent to me. Let ya know if I figure it out. Jumps are not that big of a problem that I can tell.

Old 12-17-2000, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

do we have splash guards in the bowl around the mains? I stopped dead too as soon as I landed, wondered what's up did the jump again and same damn result! NO DEALER is touching mine!

Old 12-17-2000, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

I ordered a oem Raptor shop manual last week. It should have been here by now. As soon as I get it I will be getting into the carbs to check set points and see if there is something wrong. The dealers I have been to so far will not ever work on anything of mine. There has to be a dealer someplace that has an expert on these issues popping up. I will be trying to go through the Yamaha system to find out where to get the help and service that is badly needed for a lot of people. When I find the right person I will first of all tell them to take a look at this forum to get the idea of what Raptor owners are thinking about dealers and what they are dealing with.

Old 12-17-2000, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Where and\or who did you order the manual from. I am in need of one also.

Old 12-17-2000, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

You can order a manual and microfiche fromhttp://www.motocom.com
Just follow the instructions to get to the right page