Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

start help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start help!!

Guys,
I have a Yamaha 225 DX three wheeler with electric start -shaft drive.
It pull starts no problem and runs good!
Problem is with electric start. It will turn over fast and strong with the electric start but will not start. One pull with the cord and it starts up? what can I look at with the electric start circuit?
Battery is new
Help! Snow on the way!!
Cliff NY

Old 02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default start help!!

pull your plug and see if when you crank with the electric start if you are getting any compression, you might have a bad starter drive that is not engauging the flywheel therefor causing it not to start.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default start help!!

Motor turns over fine with electric start just does not ignite fuel. Seems like a spark issue. Weak spark with electric start-strong spark with pull start!
Ugh!
Thanks

Old 02-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default start help!!

I have a Clymer manual here for that bike, and it says if this happens you have a bad starter clutch. But if you have a weak spark with the electric starter, it could be the starter circuit cutoff relay. This relay wont let it start if its in gear. I was trying to follow this funky-looking wiring diagram and it appears this relay shuts down the ignition unit if its activated. But, if its wired according to this diagram, the starter should not be activated either. Has someone boogered up the wiring? Did it work before and now its not?

Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default start help!!

No wiring modifications--Bike is bone stock. Bike just decided one day to not start with the electric start! Thanks for all you input!
Cliff ny

Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default start help!!

sounds like somethings up with the cut-off relay or the plug/wiring to it. This relay should be the one under your main seat/rear fender bracket on the right if you are on the bike. It should have a blue wire and 3 red wires w/white stripes. The blue should be ground. Im just going by whats in this book. You might want check the inside if the plug to this relay for mud/corrosion. If you have a voltmeter and know how to use it, I can tell you how to test the relay.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default start help!!

Thanks--
I found what you described! Small relay---2 red/wht wires--one light blue wire---Also has a red/wht jumper wire.
Can you let me know what voltage should be where? I have a volt meter and know how to use it!!
Thanks

Old 02-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default start help!!

I just tested the wiring--
Ground is good--
When I hit start button one red/wht gets voltage. (feeds relay voltage)
obviously without the relay in place the starter doesnt turn over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I am curious where the other red/wht lead (which should have voltage after relay fires)? It is wrapped up in a black wire harness. Seems to go under gas tank--Which is where the spark plug coil is!!
Any chance you fax or email me the schematic for this bike?
Thanks
Cliff NY

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default start help!!

I could send you this info. One red/white wire goes to the ignition unit and that same wire splits off somewhere and goes to the starter relay. The other red/white wire with the jumper goes to a plug and then goes to your headlight switch. The ground wire is hooked in with the wires going to your nuetral safety switch and neutral light. At the relay you should have 12 volts DC at all three red/white wires only when you hit the starter button. You should only have ground on the blue wire when the bike is in neutral. Theres a red/white wire on your ignition unit that should have 12 volts DC on when you hit the starter button. The more I think about it, it seems there might be a problem with the ignition unit. There is a red/white wire on it that only has power when you hit the starter button. When you pull start it, this wire will not have power. So, maybe when your ignition unit sees this voltage, it craps out for some reason. This book says the ignition unit can only be tested by a Yamaha dealer. I will send you a private message with my email address and you can give me your fax and email address. I will try to email them so they will be in color. I dont have a scanner, but I have 1 I think I can use.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default start help!!

Originally posted by: Raptor450
I could send you this info. One red/white wire goes to the ignition unit and that same wire splits off somewhere and goes to the starter relay. The other red/white wire with the jumper goes to a plug and then goes to your headlight switch. The ground wire is hooked in with the wires going to your nuetral safety switch and neutral light. At the relay you should have 12 volts DC at all three red/white wires only when you hit the starter button. You should only have ground on the blue wire when the bike is in neutral. Theres a red/white wire on your ignition unit that should have 12 volts DC on when you hit the starter button. The more I think about it, it seems there might be a problem with the ignition unit. There is a red/white wire on it that only has power when you hit the starter button. When you pull start it, this wire will not have power. So, maybe when your ignition unit sees this voltage, it craps out for some reason. This book says the ignition unit can only be tested by a Yamaha dealer. I will send you a private message with my email address and you can give me your fax and email address. I will try to email them so they will be in color. I dont have a scanner, but I have 1 I think I can use.
I this the correct schematic? Will this help in discribing what ....

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/W...5DXKDXLDXN.jpg

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/W...5DXKDXLDXN.jpg

Quick Reply: start help!!