Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Snow Plowing Wench Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Plowing Wench Problems

I have a 2006 Kodiak 450SE with the Dealer Installed Warn Wench. I have been plowing driveways for the past 3 days and everything was
working great ! In the middle of a plowing job today I was unable to raise my plow. I hit the button but the wench does not go in or out.
There is no noise at all when I hit the switch. I have done the following:

1) Checked all the connections.

2) Removed the Relay box and re-installed all the connections.

3) At the relay box with everything connected except the green and black switch wires; I bypassed the switch by directly connecting the green and black wires at the relay box with the key in the on position. Nothing happens.......

4) At the relay I have power. Used a test light on the red and back leads.

5) Went to the Service dept. and asked them for advice.......They told me it is probally the relay module, they said that they have been seeing these go bad. I have taken the part off and plan on ordering a new one.

I plan on trying to send power directly to the wench tomorrow with a batt and some jumper wires to see what happens. I would like to atleast get my cable to wind back up.

Any advice on what I can do............Could I have burned out my wench plowing a few driveways? Or is the dealer right saying that the relay module is probally bad. Is anybody else having this problem ?

I am really pissed off..........I spend big bucks for this setup and I am unable to use it. If I don't get this fixed by the next storm I am going to be in trouble.

Thanks.....

Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Plowing Wench Problems

I found the problem.........I re-tested the switch and found that there was no power at the switch with the key on.
I traced the red power wire and found a wire tap clip tapped off an ignition power wire. I re-installed a new tap
and SHE WORKS............

What I learned; quickest way to test the wench setup:

1) If you unplug the switch wires at the relay and leave them unplugged. Install a jumper wire from Battery Postive and touch one of the switch wires on the relay you should hear the relay click and the wench should start to pull in or out depending on which wire you touched with the hot wire from the battery. At least that will give you a good starting point to help narrow down your problem.