Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 or 700?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 or 700?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Plan on buying a new Grizzly next month, i am looking at the 660 at $6300 out the door.
I have been reading alot about the 700. The dealer wants $7600 for this model out the door. Currently I plan on buying the 660 just because I'm not a big fan of first year models. Secondly with all this electronic gadgetry on the bike things tend to get expensive and not repairable on the trail.

Confused a little - just looking for comments to help decide. Not looking to race down trails but rather a reliable ATV that will perform and keep going for years to come with very little maint.

My nightmare is the new EFI or the steering unit will go bad in the mud or 20 miles into a ride - then what?

What can go wrong with a 660? Less parts

Does the steering or EFI make a huge difference that its worth the risk in the middle of no were and more importantly wasting the weekend for friends and I?

Any thoughts

Old 02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sounds like alot of money for a couple of more cc and power steering( I never found ATVs hard to steer in the first place) . I rode a EFI ATV ,you cant tell it from a carbed bike while riding it. I hear they start up easier but my friend's starts his 03 660 grizzly in any temperature also(Guess thats what the chokes fore).

On the 700s behalf I think EFI would be dependable, and if the power steering ever quit out on you on the trail could it not just be ridden like a non power steering bike?

Old 02-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Range Rover

I've read up alot on the 700's and people were leery like you on buying a first year ATV, but it seems as if most everyone who owns one are tickled to death with it. There are many posts about the 700, and most of them are definitley positive about the new 700, so Yamaha did something right. I'd say go for the 700 if you have the extra cash. But I have a '03 660 and love it too, so which ever one you buy will be a good investment. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:20 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

The EPS (power steering) feature is an electronic assist, so if it fails you are just left with a machine that steers unassisted or the same as if it didn't have the feature.

The 700 is more expensive, that is a fact. However let's just say you are planning to keep this machine for 5 years. The $1300 difference would amount to $260 per year or about 71 cents per day. That is not very much when you think about it in a long term sense. What the 700 has going for it over the 660 is more ground clearance (because of re-designed curved A-Arms), a lower center of gravity (the fuel tank was moved lower, under the seat), better handling overall, a little more engine power, EFI (better fuel economy, compensates for changes in altitude) and of course the power assisted steering.

That EPS feature makes steering effortless and feels the same whether you are in 2WD or limited slip 4WD. Even with the EPS the steering is noticably stiffer when the front diff is locked, however it still is easier to steer in this mode than the 660 is. The EPS also works sort of like a steering damper in that it will help to reduce the effect of having the bars jerked from your hands if you were to, say, hit a large rock with one wheel. It doesn't eliminate this problem, it just makes it noticably better than on the 660 for instance which is very prone to this bump steer issue.

I have both machines and have had my '02 660 since July of 2001. The 660 has been great, it's even still on the original drive belt. I continue to use my 660 for dragging logs out of the woods for firewood processing, and as a back up or guest trail machine. However if I had to choose only one, it would be the 700 hands down, it just feels more refined, has a better ride, handles better and leaves you with even less rider fatigue at the end of a hard day on the trails...

Old 02-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: JModrak
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Plan on buying a new Grizzly next month, i am looking at the 660 at $6300 out the door.
I have been reading alot about the 700. The dealer wants $7600 for this model out the door. Currently I plan on buying the 660 just because I'm not a big fan of first year models. Secondly with all this electronic gadgetry on the bike things tend to get expensive and not repairable on the trail.

Confused a little - just looking for comments to help decide. Not looking to race down trails but rather a reliable ATV that will perform and keep going for years to come with very little maint.

My nightmare is the new EFI or the steering unit will go bad in the mud or 20 miles into a ride - then what?

What can go wrong with a 660? Less parts

Does the steering or EFI make a huge difference that its worth the risk in the middle of no were and more importantly wasting the weekend for friends and I?

Any thoughts
I felt the same way as you and picked a 2007 Grizz 660. It has been a super bike for my uses and has exceeded all of my expectations. The difference you save in purchase price can be used for a winch, offset wheels (Gives the bike a wider stance and more stability) and a good set of 6 ply tires (Like ITP Mudlites or Interco Swamplites) which give you better traction and are much more durable than the factory 2 ply tires. There is a host of other accessories available for the 660, but it would take too long to list.

From everything written on forums such as this one, it looks like Yamaha did the 700 right straight out of the box. But the simplicity of the 660 was and still is very attractive to me. I work with very high tech communication electronics for a living, but when it comes to my own toys the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) Philosophy always comes first. Other than standard preventative maintenance, I just want to go ride the bike and not have to worry about anything. The 660 has been rock solid from 0 to 85 degrees, mud to 15 inches of snow and ice, and has never hiccupped once. And that's the way I like it.