Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

big bear 350 interminten power loss

Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big bear 350 interminten power loss

not sure on the year i'm thinking 96-99, big bear 350.

the problem i am having is one day you can have full power and like the time you start it you get 1/4 power. to move any where you half to go full throttle, vary slow acceleration and you cant even go in 4th because there isn't power to move it. i have changed the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, and taken appart and cleaned the carb. you can be riding it, and if it has power you might loss it and the other way around, so if you have any ideas on how i can fix it or if you have the same problem please post what you have done to fix or what didn't work.

thank you.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

when it's low on power is it misfiring, popping, backfiring, and acting up like that, or is it just being sluggish?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

just being sluggish

Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'd try cleaning the carb again. pay special attention to the jets and the float valve. Also check carefully that the intake manifold isn't damaged or leaking at all. They have a tendency to crack in the middle.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mine is doing the same thing how do i fix it

Originally Posted by recon99
when it's low on power is it misfiring, popping, backfiring, and acting up like that, or is it just being sluggish?
Mine is doing the same thing how do i fix it

Old 08-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Wes Kilbreath
any one figure out the problem I got the same problem I got the right size tires bike runs great starts drives but my throttle only works half way and I got no power going up hill she just bogs right out and my buddy got a 87 big bear 350 and with 2 ppl on his bike he leaves me behind goin up hills every where else I can only stay with him up to half throttle except goin down hill lol this sucks please help.. i just ordered a new carb but not sure if its the problem can someone help me plz

Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 98.350.big.bear.nfld
any one figure out the problem I got the same problem I got the right size tires bike runs great starts drives but my throttle only works half way and I got no power going up hill she just bogs right out and my buddy got a 87 big bear 350 and with 2 ppl on his bike he leaves me behind goin up hills every where else I can only stay with him up to half throttle except goin down hill lol this sucks please help.. i just ordered a new carb but not sure if its the problem can someone help me plz
Same here buddy, mine has a brand new carb and still hates going uphill, just sputters and spits, not to mention if I give it all the beans it just barks are me.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had same problem last summer i went on Amazon and bought a new carb b4 that bike had trouble on hills and top speed of 32 something after new carb she was unstoppable goin up sanddunes (with out front axle) where b4 she had hard time driving across the beach and afterwards I had her up to 77 km

Old 03-08-2021, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Mechanix
Same here buddy, mine has a brand new carb and still hates going uphill, just sputters and spits, not to mention if I give it all the beans it just barks are me.
Originally Posted by Wes Kilbreath
Originally Posted by recon99
i'd try cleaning the carb again. pay special attention to the jets and the float valve. Also check carefully that the intake manifold isn't damaged or leaking at all. They have a tendency to crack in the middle.
Originally Posted by M1GUNNY

the problem i am having is one day you can have full power and like the time you start it you get 1/4 power. to move any where you half to go full throttle, vary slow acceleration and you cant even go in 4th because there isn't power to move it. i have changed the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, and taken appart and cleaned the carb. you can be riding it, and if it has power you might loss it and the other way around, so if you have any ideas on how i can fix it or if you have the same problem please post what you have done to fix or what didn't work.

thank you.
I had same problem last summer i went on Amazon and bought a new carb b4 that bike had trouble on hills and top speed of 32 something after new carb she was unstoppable goin up sanddunes (with out front axle) where b4 she had hard time driving across the beach and afterwards I had her up to 77 km
​​​​​​​

Old 03-09-2021, 08:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by M1GUNNY

thank you.

Check to make sure the blade diaphragm is super soft. It it get the slightest bit stiff it won't pull the blade up. They will just go about half way and pulse a bit up and down. Mine didn't feel that stiff until I got the new one.

Fixitup