Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Woods Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woods Warrior

Tusk tie rod ends in general are junk. I had a set of the stock-style tusk ends and the same deal happened. In general, all of tusk's products are cheap chinese junk though. The only stuff they make that is arguably decent are their nerf bars and gas caps, and maybe a few other small things like the brake blockoff and flag mounts. Anything that can be considered a wear item isn't something you should consider buying from tusk.

As long as you stay away from tusk or unknown branded parts you should be ok. There are a few companies that make ends that are the same quality as original yamaha parts, but for about half the price. My local powersports shop sells a lot of them, but I can't think of the brand name at the moment.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer
Default Woods Warrior

Yea, I hope to get the dampner this spring.
And yes, I do have XCT's on the rear, was looking at regular Holeshots for the front this year maybe.
Yes, I was lucky to find some of my stolen quad, the DA's office is trying to figure out restitution though! I recovered the engine (damaged though), rear swing arn, tires and wheels, wiring harness, front a-arms, and a few misc. things. Had to go to the state police barracks to remove them from 2 different quads. My frame is still MIA. Hey, I at least got a start on another Warrior. I have 6 kids- 5 boys. All like to ride!!!
Thanks for the 411!!
Sherri

Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Woods Warrior

Originally posted by: recon99
No such thing as heavy duty male threaded tie rod ends. There's nothing you can do to signifigantly improve on the design without completely replacing everything.
Completely true statement.

For anyone thinking of upgrading to the honda-style tie rod kit, do not, under any circumstances, buy a Tusk brand kit, including the ones from trailtracksand.com. The ends will be shot after about 10 hours of riding. My choice is the ASR kit, which uses a male threaded rod, and female heim joints, which offer a better range of motion than standard ball joints.
I went to the ASR site:

American Star Manufacturing

They describe "These American Star PRO RACER TIE RODS are available in Stock, +1, +2, +3 and +4 lengths.
The Tie Rods are precision manufactured out of Precision Formed, Seamless, Heat Treated
.120 Wall Aircraft Grade Steel Tubing With Precision TIG Welded Stainless Steel Threaded
Ends. The Precision Teflon Lined Heim Tie Rod Ends are rated at 12,200 lbs!!! The rods
themselves are lifetime structurally warranted against bending or breaking. Yamaha,
Suzuki, Kawasaki and Arctic Cat owners these replace your weak stock female style rod
ends. With most OEM tie rod ends being about 45.00 each (x4) you can see why these are
the best deal out there. Be sure to click on the correct size from the drop down list on the
right when you order!"

These are listed at $120 for two tie rods w/ ends.

Here is the link. ASR ProRacer Tie Rods w/ends

My experience with the heim style joints is that they wear out fast, especially when exposed to a WOODS/muddy type of environment, due to the fact that they are completely exposed to the elements. [b]For a stock front suspension system, the heim joints are overkill for OutlawSS' type of riding.[b]

Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Woods Warrior

Hey Question didn't they up grade the shocks when they did the rework on the warrior to the 350 raptor ,?????????

Old 03-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Woods Warrior

Originally posted by: deanz400
Hey Question didn't they up grade the shocks when they did the rework on the warrior to the 350 raptor ,?????????

Not sure, if they did, it wasn't anything THAT significant.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Woods Warrior

still handle better then the old warrior

Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Woods Warrior

Originally posted by OutlawSS: Sometimes my upper body gets tired from ruts and stuff.

Get to a gym and start sling'n some steel!!!!! LOL, I know you are busy w/ work, kidz, riding, etc....it's tough to make the time. I'm lucky enough my job allows me to work out during the day before I go home to run arrands, cook dinner, clean up, etc....

Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Woods Warrior

Originally posted by: deanz400
Nope same old crappy shocks on both still BUT!!! the raptor does handle 80% better than the warrior it steer's so easy compared to the warrior and ride's light in the front...

Old 03-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Woods Warrior

Okay- Dee Dawg!! I'll try to get some exercise!! LOL But I think I'm tough enuff just the fact that I take this pig the places I do, mostly following the 4x4 guys, on a lead sled!! LOL I must be getting soft in my old age! LOL Next thing ya know is I'll be trading it on a rolling couch like an Eiger or something! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I do believe I can score some Banshee front shocks. My buddy has one- plus one for parts.
As for the Warrior/Rappy thing- they legnthened the frame on the Rappy some and I believe it's narrower,too. Still a Harley size gearbox though. My other buddy had a Raptor 350 and I rode it once, like mine better. I did get his nerfs and with minimum tweaking mounted them on the Warptior, even more stable than they were on his bike. I'm mounted to the frame instead of the motor mount.
I wasn't planning on changing my tie rod ends, I am a bit on the cautious side, mine aren't broken. If I do break one, I'll just have to fix it. I don't plan on getting that aggressive on this pig at my age! LOL I just go out, have fun, and GET MUDDY! But I am forwarding all this info to my honey, he has an 05 Raptor 660 and breaks ALOT of stuff! LOL

Old 03-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Woods Warrior

Originally posted by: 54warrior
Originally posted by: recon99
No such thing as heavy duty male threaded tie rod ends. There's nothing you can do to signifigantly improve on the design without completely replacing everything.
Completely true statement.

For anyone thinking of upgrading to the honda-style tie rod kit, do not, under any circumstances, buy a Tusk brand kit, including the ones from trailtracksand.com. The ends will be shot after about 10 hours of riding. My choice is the ASR kit, which uses a male threaded rod, and female heim joints, which offer a better range of motion than standard ball joints.
I went to the ASR site:

American Star Manufacturing

You can buy the ASR kits on ebay direct from their factory. It runs between $120-150 shipped for a full set, not just one side. I think that's just a misprint you found on their site, it wouldn't make a lick of sense to sell only half a kit. Nobody only upgrades one side and leaves the other stock.

And if you properly maintain heims they'll last forever. Now, if you treat them like some people treat their quads, and never wash or lube them, then yeah, they'll wear out quicker than a sealed ball joint type.

They describe "These American Star PRO RACER TIE RODS are available in Stock, +1, +2, +3 and +4 lengths.
The Tie Rods are precision manufactured out of Precision Formed, Seamless, Heat Treated
.120 Wall Aircraft Grade Steel Tubing With Precision TIG Welded Stainless Steel Threaded
Ends. The Precision Teflon Lined Heim Tie Rod Ends are rated at 12,200 lbs!!! The rods
themselves are lifetime structurally warranted against bending or breaking. Yamaha,
Suzuki, Kawasaki and Arctic Cat owners these replace your weak stock female style rod
ends. With most OEM tie rod ends being about 45.00 each (x4) you can see why these are
the best deal out there. Be sure to click on the correct size from the drop down list on the
right when you order!"

These are listed at $120 for two tie rods w/ ends.

Here is the link. ASR ProRacer Tie Rods w/ends

My experience with the heim style joints is that they wear out fast, especially when exposed to a WOODS/muddy type of environment, due to the fact that they are completely exposed to the elements. [b]For a stock front suspension system, the heim joints are overkill for OutlawSS' type of riding.[b]

You can buy a full set of the ASRs on ebay direct from their factory, for $120-150. If you properly maintain them they'll last forever. All you gotta do is wash them and lube them when they need it. Now, if you're they type of person that doesn't know the word "maintenance", and never washes, lubes, and just lets their bike go, then these can wear out quicker than a standard sealed ball joint type. But for a little extra maintenance, you save $80 over a kit with the sealed joints, and you get better range of motion out of them. For someone with stock suspension that doesn't matter much, but for me, that's a big one. A stock-replacement type end just barely has enough range of motion to work without binding up when the suspension unloads on my bike.

So yeah, heims are overkill for a mostly stock machine, but there aren't that many other options out there.

Quick Reply: Woods Warrior