Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Woods Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woods Warrior

I am about 160# and ride my Warrior in tight woods and fast trail riding. Would any of you'all know if a steering dampner would benefit me?? Sometimes my upper body gets tired from ruts and stuff. If so, which type ? Are the $159.00 ones with the little shock absorber on 'em okay??
Also, any tips on jumping this lead sled? I've had it off the ground, but landed bad once and got shy. I want to jump! Okay, so I've been watching the bombsquad too much!! LOL

Old 03-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Woods Warrior

upgrade your shocks, i just did it for 200 bucks for the front and rear shocks, and i am very pleased. it handles and jumps alot better, and it isnt as squatty in the rear as it was before, the quad definately feels more nimble if you can believe it. lands much better, i am especially happy with the rear shock. i have these sweet stainless steel heavy duty tie rods, im looking for heavy duty ends for them. when i find them, i will flip the front wheels to improve the handling even more as the banshee shocks are softer feeling than the stock warrior. maybe someday i will get a arms.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Woods Warrior

Upgrade the shocks! Makes a huge improvement! Also make sure your A-arm bushings and ball joints are not worn out. Worn out parts like these will beat you to death and you wont even realize why youre so tired. Also check your front wheel bearings and your steering stem bearing at the bottom. I would put money on it that all of these parts are worn out. Mine was killing me on the trail, I replaced all the worn out stuff and it rides like a new bike now.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default Woods Warrior

Thanks. The shocks sound like a good idea. I have a set of flipped front wheels, but we ride TIGHT trails and I sqeeze through as it is!
My boyfriend wants to upgrade his Raptor shocks- I'll have to scam them of of him!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Woods Warrior

You'll definitely benefit from a steering dampener, they can make a huge difference especially in the rough stuff. I've wanted one for a long time, but I keep putting it off.

It would be best to find one that's rebuildable. Over time they will loose their effectiveness, and in the long run it may be cheaper to get one that's rebuildable, depending on how much you ride.

For jumping, it's the same as any other machine. Stay on the throttle, stay standing up, make sure the jump is level so it doesn't pitch you sideways, and prepare your quick reflexes. If it nosedives gun the throttle to bring the nose up. If the front end shoots for the stars tap the brakes to bring the front end back down some. To make it real good for jumping, Extended a-arms and upgraded shocks are a must. I have Works shocks on the front of mine and a stock 01 raptor shock on the rear, and it jumps just as good as the newer 400s.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Woods Warrior

Thank you- sounds like the shocks are a must- then look out H Bomb films!! LOL
One of the dampners I was looking at IS rebuildable. It's pretty close in price,too. I may put it off though until I get the shock situation under control. Anyone want to sell my boyfriend some YFZ 450 shocks for his Raptor?! ;D

Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Woods Warrior

[My boyfriend wants to upgrade his Raptor shocks

I take it you're a girl and not queer.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Woods Warrior

LOL!!! Yea- I'm a girl!!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Woods Warrior

And the only raptor shock that's going to be much use to you is the rear shock from a 2001 model. All the front ones are too long, and the other year rear shocks have a piggyback reservoir that won't work with the swingarm.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default Woods Warrior

Darn- guess I need to put the wrenches down..... Have to get on Ebay and look. Thanks

Quick Reply: Woods Warrior