Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor 660r rev limiter issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 660r rev limiter issues

Alright, Heres my problem. SOMETIMES my raptor runs right, and sometimes it doesn't. I notice when i go on wet or muddy trails it seems to make the Rev limiter kick in more often. When i say rev limiter kicking in i mean it kicks in in ALL gears. Not just reverse but 1-5 as well. I took it to a Yamaha specialty place and they replaced a neutral switch and called it good but that didn't fix anything.

I dont know what exactly is the problem but if you have any suggesstions on how i can narrow it down to what the problem is let me know. (Note: I'm very incapable of repairing it myself, i could probably follow a picture and disconnect some stuff but i wouldn't have the slightest on what to do if it were something more complicated than that.)

I am wondering if theres a way to just disconnect the rev limiter all together. I mean, i've never actually had it kick in in reverse. I can go like 15-20 mph in reverse and it still doesn't kick in so i dont think i really need it. Its been a big hassle for me ever since i got it and i've put about $800 of repairs into it and it didn't get me any closer to getting it fixed.

Also if i'm not being clear on the rev limiter symptoms, If you have a raptor 660r if you pull in the park brake and try and make it rev up... well thats what my bike is doing at all times. so maybe its just as simple as disconnecting my park brake?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

I had a similar problem with mine. It ended up being the parking brake cable was shreaded on the indside. Therefore the bike would barely move. At the time I had no idea about the rev limiter. I thought my engine was junk.. Anyway, I ended up replacing the parking brake cable. Good luck man.
Dan

Old 03-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

awesome thanks for the feedback i'll check it out.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

turns out its my reverse switch. it needs to be adjusted is what the shop told me. i have no experience in repairing an atv and i have very few tools. would it be possible for me to adjust it at home or what would you recommend.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thats a simple adjustment. Just follow the reverse cable down to where a rubber boot is and slide the rubber boot back. A couple pair of pliers for the jam nut and the actual adjustment screw are all that are needed. Your setup could adjusted to tight, meaning reverse is wanting to engage while in a forward gear or 180 degrees the other way and not wanting to engage when trying to put the machine in reverse. The reverse lever should be turned somewhere around halfway before engaging into reverse....adjust accordingly.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

sirmish
i had the same thing happen to me. i ran through some deep mud and water few times. and it i had the same issues as you. i finally descovered that my reverse sensor was the cause.but it was the little electical connector that conntects to it was wet and full of dirt. i cleaned it out (rubber boot) and where it connects, and no problems after that. it is on the left side of your 660. i hope this helps you

Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider

It is likely that the only 'adjustment' needed on the reverse switch (on the left side cover, just below the sprocket with the L shaped connector) is to pull the connector, clean and tighten it and reconnect. This is common if this happens intermittently, especially when wet or muddy riding. There isn't anything mechanical to adjust. When the connector becomes loose or dirty, the CDI thinks you are in reverse and turns the limiter on. You can eliminate the reverse limiter all together just by running a wire from the wire's connector (leave you can leave the original wire connected to the swtich or not, your choice) to a good ground point, like a screw into the frame. (carefull, you can haul butt in reverse without the limiter though)

It is possible that it is a faulty park brake switch or connection also causing the CDI to think the PB is on. You can just disconnect its cable and eliminate that limiter too.

Good Luck.