Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 warrior hard start issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 warrior hard start issue

After running it and shutting off, it won't restart. I put a new plug in and still wouldn't start. Then I hooked the charger up and set it on boost and it fired right up.

See....I've been having a hard time starting the thing. Once it is running, it runs great. But once I shut it off, it's hell to start.

One thing I think I may have caught onto about the hard start issue....I think it may have something to do with the battery. Although the battery seems to crank the engine fairly well, it won't start. But today when I was messing with it and that happened, I hooked the battery charger up to the battery and set the charger to boost and the quad started every time. Take the charger off and it won't start.

Could there be an issue that the battery (even though it is cranking the engine) isn't pushing enough amps or something to start the engine? I know it isn't the right battery for it. The person I got the quad from replaced it with a battery from sears or walmart or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure all wire terminations are tight. That means even checking the crimped parts of the spade connections and ground wires to the frame.
The booster might be giving you the little extra to compensate for the high resistance in the system.
Starter system is usually seperate but indirectly related. Look for the grounding connections everywhere on the machine. If the battery is cranking the machine with no problem it has the juice needed.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Tommy. I will check all the ground connections and see if there is any improvement.