Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 450 - water in storage compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 - water in storage compartment?

Just put on all my new skids this weekend and had the quad resting straight up on rear grab, when i brought it down noticed that storage compartment under seat had a handful or two of water in it. Could this have come form the battery? as the water was directly behind/ below the battery while vertical. I turned off fuel peckock and let it run out of gas before i lifted it up, am pretty sure it was water as it had no smell, color, or "oily" look. Have done this many times with my Mojave to work on underside with no problems, but it has no battery.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe water from washing it? I get that all the time.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

it wouldnt be from the battery. the battery in the new wolverine is different than most other ones. according to the yamahawebsite it doesnt take any water or anything so you don't have to worry about getting the water level right. not quite sure how that works but w/e. my guess is that some water just came from one of the other smaller compartments in the storage box.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

Ya, i din't think the battery had water in it either, did'nt have time to undo the hold down bolts and take it out to look. Washing isssue,only problem is the quad is brand spankin new and has never seen outside or a ride yet. Maybe just chalk it up as no big deal , just wanted to make sure i didn't loose fluid from somewhere important.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

yeah i doint think you have to worry about it. as a general rule, if it doesnt smell its water, if it does, its not. there aren't any fluids in the atv that dont smell, even the coolant has a pretty different smell to it. the only thing that Would smell like water is the water in the battery which it doesnt need

Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

Actually according to the manual the battery has fluid in it but it doesn't need checked. They list it as maintenence free, like most car batteries are now.

Either way, I still think it's water. Hell even if it's not been ridden the dealer could have washed it before you got it. Mine was new with a little dust on it and they washed it before I took delivery.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

Called the dealer and he said that he had washed it so that's all it must mave been was some residual water in one of the compartments. He said the battery does have water/ acid in it but it's sealed so it can't leak out. Thanks for the help...