Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350 mod question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 350 mod question

Hi guys im new to the forum and new to moding quads. My brother and i just recently bought quads. So were new to this kinda stuff. He got a 2007Raptor350 and i got a 2007honda400ex. My question is for his quad would be the exhaust. Im thinking a full system a TRC tri-oval aluminum RS7 comp series by Yoshimura. I would like to know if this is a good one to go with or any suggestions on other full/slip on pipes. The next thing is air filters. Whats good air filter for both quads. Ive heard uni is a good one? Other than that i would like some advice on other mods that would be good to start with. If you guys could direct me to any good web sites I it. ttly Heres the link to the pipe http://store.yoshimura-rd.com/storef...tid=Estore-893

Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

Most Raptor 350/Warrior owners tend to go for HMF pipes... just my .02

Old 04-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are plenty of good exhausts out there for the raptor 350. Pretty much anything over the $200 price range is going to be equal or close to it in power gains. Some will add power in different places, like the HMFs will add a low end boost, and the yoshimuras are focused more in the higher rpms. Regardless of what you choose, a slip-on is going to be the best bang for your buck. If you haven't taken notice of it yet, the raptor 350's headpipe is plenty big, actually bigger than even the stock headpipe on a 450r, so there's not much of a benefit in upgrading it, aside from looks and a little weight savings.

For the intake, the type of filter you choose is mostly personal preference. I prefer k&n's myself, that's what I run in my car, my van, and my quads, and they've always served me well. The biggest reason I choose them over a uni in the quads, is that foam filters are more time consuming, messy, and less fool-proof to clean and re-oil. With the k&n it's a simple spray on the cleaner, hose it off, let it dry, and spray the red oil back onto it until you don't see any more white. With the foam filters you go through a lot more cleaner and oil so it costs more in the long run, that nasty sticky oil gets on everything and doesn't come off easy, and since the oil usually isn't colored and the filter is, you can't really know for sure if you oiled everything good, if you got enough or too much oil into it, etc.

Regardless of which filter type you choose, for the raptor you want to get a Pro-Design or Noss Machine clamp-on filter kit so that you can ditch the stock drop-in type. The stock filter design is flawed in several ways. The airbox lid restricts flow greatly, and most of the air gets pulled in through only a small section of the filter. If the filter and lid isn't installed just right you could be sucking dirt into the engine. If the chincy little foam gasket would slip loose, come unglued, or not seal tightly, there's another potential for dirt getting sucked in. And the final major flaw in the design, is that the filter opening doesn't match up with the airbox outlet right, they overlap, so airflow is restricted a little bit more. So that extra $50 that may be spent on the clamp-on kit will give better performance, and possibly save the engine from being compromised by dirt and other junk getting sucked in.

As far as the filter on your honda, I believe they clamp on from the factory, so just about any filter should work well for you.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

I have an HMF pipe and i love it. Dont bother on spending another $100 or more on a slip-on or full system. The other slip-ons will more than likely not give you that much of an increase over the HMF. The headpipe on the 350 is just fine how it is. As for the filter i agree with Recon99. K&N is my personal choice. If you dont want to spend the extra $50 on a clamp-on kit, buy the drop-in filter and drill holes in the air-lid. Same flow for cheaper. Buy an HMF and a K&N (clamp or regular, your choice) then with the money you save buy a dynojet jet kit.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kyledvor61
If you dont want to spend the extra $50 on a clamp-on kit, buy the drop-in filter and drill holes in the air-lid. Same flow for cheaper.
Absolutely positively DO NOT EVER buy the drop-in k&n for the raptor 350. To start, they just re-labeled the warrior filter as the one for the raptor. They didn't work that well for the warrior, and it's even worse for the raptor, it doesn't even come close to fitting securely and properly. On top of that, because of the way they are built, the drop-in k&n's start falling apart after the first couple times you wash them. It won't be the same performance either. If you ever had an airbox off of a warrior or raptor, with the filter still in it, and looked into the outlet, you'd see there is at least a half inch of overlap so the airflow becomes turbulent and restricted all in one fell swoop. That overlap also leaves a spot where that foam seal just barely (talking like 2 millimeters on the edge) forms a seal against the box. Yamaha screwed up big on this airbox design back in 1987, and for some reason never did a thing to correct the problem. They probably figured they'd sell more replacement parts this way.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. about the drop-in k&n's what do they look like? Are they just the same filter as the stock but just a k&n? IS this air filter the one you recommened? Heres the link http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...FamilyId=16048 thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hmmm theh link isn't working but if you go to www.rockymountainatv.com put in at top Raptor 530 it will be the Modquad Air Flow System with K&N Filter for Our price: $102.99 .

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, the drop-in is what the stock one is, they just sit in the airbox and the lid is the only thing that holds them in place. No good.

Don't get the modquad kit either. It's the right idea, same concept as the Pro Design kit, but I actually bought the modquad kit for my warrior, and had to use a different filter and modify my airbox to make it fit, because apparently modquad doesn't test their products before they go onto the market.

Here's the Pro-Design kit for the Raptor 350

Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

HEY thanks a lot. So that mod quad is junk. good thing u told me i almost made the purchase. Ill go ahead and get that one from the link u show me. Before i do though, My bros leaning towards UNI im telling him K&N. He would like to know if UNI has the same thing as the K&N you show me?

Quick Reply: Raptor 350 mod question