Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Aftermarket Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket Carbs

I have a 03 Wolverine and the oem is pretty much shot..I would like to buy a aftermarket one because the oem carb is so expensive..The oem carb is a 34mm,does that mean I need to buy another 34mm??I am lot looking for a large boost in power,but a little would be nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Anyone have any thought on what would work best for me??One of my concerns is the throttle connection and the jetting..Any help would be great..

Thanks

Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can go bigger,but you might have to get the intake side of the carb milled down to fit your rubber intake on the engine.You will also have to jet it accordingly.Good luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the rest of your machine is stock you don't want to go any bigger on the carb, you'll just get rideability issues and probably lose noticable performance.

What do you mean that the stock carb is about shot? it's 4 years old, that's nothing. They do sell carb rebuild kits. Did you even try cleaning it out or anything? I just don't see any reason that you would need to replace a carb that new.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Pro Rider

I kinda messed up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] when inspecting the floats,I dropped the carb..To my horror a piece of the case where the gasket goes broke off..I figured game over,time for a new carb [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] But thanks for the info,I will get a 34mm and jet it stock to my oem..

Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Pro Rider
Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Eh, I wouldn't recommend either of those. I'd rather have the stock one on a machine like yours. Flat slides are real tempermental to jet, and the ones you chose there do not have an accelerator pump, so even when you get it tuned right you'll still have poor throttle response and if you jab the throttle quick you'll probably get a bog or stall out completely. That oval slide especially is an old outdated design, the stock one on your wolverine is going to be better. Those are just universal carbs, so they aren't going to match a stock tuned engine like your stock carb will. If you want a good aftermarket carb, do yourself a favor and spend a little extra for an edelbrock carb. There's just no comparison between that and those cheap things you posted up. I don't think edelbrock makes one specifically for the wolverine, but the one for the warrior should work nicely. It's the same engine, and if anything, you might just have to switch to a warrior airbox to get things to line up. I know there are a few wolvy guys with them, so i'd recommend researching these edelbrocks a little more.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ok..thanks for that response..I will look into edelbrock carbs.More info or coments are welcome,I'm really in the dark on what to use

Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm wile that Edelbrock Carb is really nice,I think it is more than I need..I seems to use that baby you would need to modify the intake and put a aftermarket pipe on the machine for it to work as intended..That is way more than I want to spend..The OEM carb is $318,but to tell the truth I dident want to spend that lol..My stock Wolverine is all the bike I need..This is terrible..It seems no one makes a carb that is about the same as my OEM [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] that I can find at least..Again any sugestions would be great,The search goes on ..lol

Old 04-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How about picking up a used stock wolvy carb on ebay? I bet you could pick one up for less than $100, and even if it's an older one, you still have 2 carbs to put the parts together to make one good one. If all you broke was the housing on your stock one, all the other stuff should be good that you could swap all the new parts over. That would probably be the route i'd take if I was going to keep the stock one.