Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior rev limiter

Hey guys I am working on a "97 warrior that is having problems. In neutral it is on the reverse rev limiter. It pops and bangs and wont take throttle just like in reverse. As soon as you shift it into a gear with the foot shifter, it runs fine. I have replaced the two neutral switches on the left side crankcase and the switch on the forward reverse hand shifter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have heard of some people just unplugging the wire going to the reverse shifter, but mine just dies when you do that.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like an ebrake issue to me, is the ebrake and all electrical connections still on the bike?

Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

i just reread your post and it says that when you shift into gear its ok, im not sure what the problem is then. there is no rev limiter on the warrior. i can rev it in reverse and never hit a limiter. the ebrake however has a limiter that engages when the quad thinks the ebrake is on, causing the popping and backfiring you expalined (the electrical switches on the clutch perch get all crapped up and stick causing these symptoms) the ebrake is useless, take it off anyways, along with the wires from the clutch perch that are involved. its a very common problem with the yamaha sport quads.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Definately sounds like a problem with the e-brake rev limiter switches at the clutch perch. They should have been trashed a long time ago.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

So Ive tried messing with the e-brake a ton and nothing is working. Do you think it is the main cdi box maybe? I have kind of ran out of ideas here, I have messed with it so much.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

what do yo mean by messing with it? what you should do is remove the ebrake assembly/ cable, then on the clutch perch there are wires that have white connectors about a foot down, unplug them and let them hang. there is 2 other wires, when you unplug them you will have a male and female spade connector (remaining on the bike). plug those into eachother to complete the circuit and the ebrake should no longer be an issue. if you still have this problem after removing the sensors and all, let us know.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah I tried unplugging them, connecting the two spades together that come from the main harness, and unplugging the white two prong connection, and still the problem. It is pretty odd that when i made that parking brake mod, the quad would die if you tried putting it in reverse. When it is popping and banging in neutral I can reach down and unplug the neutral switch in front of the foot shift and it clears right up. I am guessing that switch is for the green neutral light because as soon as you unplug it the light goes out. Let me know if you need more info, I have done a bunch of multi meter tests on continuity in various places and have numbers to give you. Thank you

Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by lucasislight
what do yo mean by messing with it? what you should do is remove the ebrake assembly/ cable, then on the clutch perch there are wires that have white connectors about a foot down, unplug them and let them hang. there is 2 other wires, when you unplug them you will have a male and female spade connector (remaining on the bike). plug those into each other to complete the circuit and the ebrake should no longer be an issue. if you still have this problem after removing the sensors and all, let us know.

I know i am late to the game. I just picked up a 97 Warrior for my kid and I am having the same problem with what seems to be a ebrake rev limiter. Starts and idles just fine. Once you start throttling it, starts sputtering. Reminds me of my Raptor when in reverse. I followed the switch to where it plugs in and unplugged it but that did not solve the issue. What wires need to be connected to make it work? OR, can I cut the wires on the switch wire (without unplugging) and tie them together? I just want to get this thing running properly to ride this weekend. Thanks for any feedback.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still rev limiter issue...

Originally Posted by lucasislight
i just reread your post and it says that when you shift into gear its ok, im not sure what the problem is then. there is no rev limiter on the warrior. i can rev it in reverse and never hit a limiter. the ebrake however has a limiter that engages when the quad thinks the ebrake is on, causing the popping and backfiring you expalined (the electrical switches on the clutch perch get all crapped up and stick causing these symptoms) the ebrake is useless, take it off anyways, along with the wires from the clutch perch that are involved. its a very common problem with the yamaha sport quads.

....so I've bypassed all handlebar wiring . Plugged Black wires together still issue ... replaced cdi stator/ pickup coil spark plug everything electrical... unplugged sensors what am I missing .. help please... could the wire harness be bad... looks fine ends /plugs no corrosion is seen?