Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2000, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats even more incredible is that Grizz still is not sure if he is going to start wearing a helmet, even after getting hit in tha face and having the quad sit on his head... Makes ya wonder...

Roostking...

Old 12-30-2000, 12:57 AM
Range Rover

Incredible story, Grizzly! I'll save you my crash-n-burn stories, but I remember one wreck in particular, when my brain bucket saved my life. That's no exaggeration. I would have been killed, if not for that helmet.

Old 12-30-2000, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Back when I had my '99 KX 100, my cousin had a dog that HATED dirtbikes and fourwheelers, it would always chase them when it heard one start up. Anyway, one day I was out in a field with weeds about a foot and a half tall(keep in mind that the dog was an old English bulldog(reddog)and was only about a foot tall) and me and a banshee were racing. We were going from a dead stop to as fast as we could go. I didn't know the dog was out and the field while we were riding. Also keep in mind that the dog tries to bite the front tires...even if it's moving...dumbest dog ever! We were completely tapped out and obviously the banshee was stomping me. The banshee passed the dog and I spotted it about 10 feet infront of me....6th gear pinned. I didn't even hit the brakes. !"*SMACK*"! I went over the bar rather fast and all I could remember was seeing the ground and sky switching places alot. Right as I was skipping to a stop I can remember seeing the bike flipping in the air about 5 feet from me, right as it slammed into me. I remember looking up to see the peg of the bike laying at a 90 degree angle pressed up against my head....that was the only thing pinning my down was that peg...right on my head! You got to figure that the bike was going about thirty when it hit me....55 topspeed...scratch a couple of mph for everytime it hit the ground. I pray to God that day that I was wearing a helmet. I now ALWAYS wear a helmet...whether putting around the yard or not....ALWAYS!!! What really topped it off was when the guy on the banshee lifted the bike off me...I looked for the dog to see if it was dead....wouldn't you know I saw that sorry S.O.B walking away....he only made it about ten feet before he collapsed. I left the bike and all right there in the middle of the field and we rushed the dog to the vet. It ended up having internal bleeding, lost about all of its teeth, calcium deposits everywhere, and a couple broken bones, and was puking up blood everywhere. I had just as much blood on me as the dog did. I ended up breaking 3 fingers and dislocating 2, and broke my right wrist. That stupid dog lived. Till this day he still chases dirtbikes and fourwheelers. Everytime I see him out when I'm riding, I shut it off, get off and walk inside. I thought that when I got my Raptor that maybe he wouldn't chase it because of the fourstroke sound but that turned out to be false. I hate that dog!!!

Old 12-30-2000, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Arizona650, which Aria do you have?

Each to their own but why risk it unless you don't ride very hard. If you push it, then it not a matter of IF you are going to eat it hard one day, it is WHEN. I imagine the guys who were not wearing helmets when they crashed hard are not going to post as they maybe had to give the sport up for obvious reasons, are not able to read anymore or are taking a dirt nap at this point.
I had to retire the last helmet i was wearing due to damage it sustained in a crash.
Just my .02
Jedi

01Grizzly, glad to hear you made out pretty well

Old 12-30-2000, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Word to the wise, all you without a helmet get one and acutally wear it! Funny fact, every bone in your body can repair itself except the skull, once its broke it dont get fixed, unless you get a metal plate or something... I speak from experience, dont know when exacty I did it but I have 2 whoppin cracks in my skull from taking diggers, one between my eyes about 2inches long, and the other on the side from the top of my ear about 3 inches long heading towards the other one.. cant do anything about it now, dont have any problems or anything with it besides the fact of having a cracked skull, however after I noticed them I will NEVER ride again with out a helmet, be a bike/snowmobile/atv/skateboard/snowboard, whatever...

Old 12-30-2000, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

I've always had a helment but rarely wore it. One day several friends and I were heading out for a ride, and for some reason I just grabed my lid. That day while screaming down a dusty dirt road, I hit a washed out bridge. It threw me and my quad into a wooden fence. My quad and I went on to take out 4 full posts. The whole time I was taking a beating in the head from the flying posts, finally I reached a stop when I was wrapped around the fifth post, my quad continued on. I was knocked out for a few minutes, and ended up with a bably swollen face, broken nose, and a cracked full face lid! I thank my helment for saving my life that day! Wear the lid...you neve know when something will whack you in the head!

Old 12-30-2000, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I've always had a helment but rarely wore it. One day several friends and I were heading out for a ride, and for some reason I just grabed my lid. That day while screaming down a dusty dirt road, I hit a washed out bridge. It threw me and my quad into a wooden fence. My quad and I went on to take out 4 full posts. The whole time I was taking a beating in the head from the flying posts, finally I reached a stop when I was wrapped around the fifth post, my quad continued on. I was knocked out for a few minutes, and ended up with a bably swollen face, broken nose, and a cracked full face lid! I thank my helment for saving my life that day! Wear the lid...you neve know when something will whack you in the head!

Old 12-31-2000, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

I always wear a helmet while riding any ATV. Hey 99WarMachine I have question about your Warrior. With exhaust, air filter and header you say you run a 155 main jet. I have a 150 main jet in my Warrior and when you take from idle to full throttle real quick while sitting still it sounds like it could cut off. Does yours do that?

Old 12-31-2000, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

Don't forget - get a SNELL and DOT approved helmet. If it is a choice between style and the SNELL sticker, take the sticker. The DOT test is simply a weight dropped onto the shell from ~5 feet. I don't think any of the stories told in this thread really meet that criteria (except maybe the footpeg...). I recognize that any helmet is probably better than no helmet-skip the hop-ups and get some good gear. Boots, helmet, and gloves are a must.

Also, I can relate to Griz on the "maybe I will wear a helmet". Right or wrong is a point of view - wearing a helmet should be a choice for anyone over 18.

Old 01-01-2001, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

Jedi, I wear an Arai VX-Pro, it has proven to be a top quality lid as I have found all Arai models for street and dirt I have owned to be. I have my own story of an older Arai MX-pro I felt saved my life when I was struck in the air over a large tabletop jump sending me over the bars and another rider landed directly on my head knocking me unconscious but the Arai held together and thus so did my head. The only drwback to Arais is the price but I spare no expense when it comes to helmets and won't wear anything else.