Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to never wear a helmet, and I guess I can't say for sure that I will now, but a recent event has changed my views. After having gotten all the Christmas stuff done and ready to roll as of Saturday afternoon, my wife told me she wouldn't mind if I went out for a short ride on the Grizz. So I loaded it up, and headed for the hills. This was one of those times when I was riding solo, which I do from time to time.
As my riding was winding down, and I was ready to load up and go home, I thought that I would go down this one trail that is pretty fun, and not too far. The trail comes out near a river, and in the winter when the water level is alot higher then in the summer, it gets close enough that it gets these small sandy bottom pools that can get up to about 3'deep. This year the water level was high enough that the pool was full, but not all the way to the top, maybe about 2 1/2' deep. At the same time it had wash the bank out leaving a concave drop off into the pool to continue down the trail. I rode down the drop off and continued to another point on the trail where a small creek empties into the river. That part of the trail was washed out as well, and at that point there are no trees to hook up to so I could winch myself up the bank. So I had to turn around and go back to the first drop off and try and make it up that one. It was about 30" up, and if I couldn't make it, there were lots of trees around to winch myself out. So I gave it a try. As I said earlier the wash out had made the bank concave, so I was on my feet and giving it some gas. I hit the bank and did well right at first, and I was thinking that I might just make it. The front wheels cleared and I was still moving, so I gave it alittle more gas, still on my feet. Thats when the 589's hooked up solid on the rear and flipped me over. I tried to jump clear, but my boots and the rain gear I had on prevented me from getting my left leg clear of the seat. So as it came over it pinned my head to the bottom of the pool with the front rack! As I'm sitting there with my head pinned under about 30" of freezing water, and my Grizzly covering the rest of my body, I start to try and work free. I didn't take a large breath or anything, and I was getting alittle short of air. I can't personally bench press 600lbs and roll it off of me while sitting under 2 1/2' of water, so I could only hope there was going to be enough room for me to get free! I did get free! And the good news is that, being a sandy bottom pool, there was virtualy no damage to my Grizz! When I finally did get free I heard the last 2 or 3 puts from the engine before it died, sitting there upside down. I rolled it over and let it sit for a few moments, then she started right up, and I rode back to my truck and went home. It almost knocked out one front tooth, gave me a huge fat lip, and a bloody nose, and I somehow twisted my right knee pretty good, but otherwise I'm AOK. It would have been less damaging to me, however, if I would have been wearing a helmet!

Rick

Old 12-25-2000, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

as i was reading this sotry, i was scared of the ending! u r one lucky soul! i know u don't need a lecture, but i am glad u shared this story, maybe it will change someone else's views on helmets. i am glad you r ok! ride safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2000, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

A lot of us need to be reminded of the importance of our helmets. I think we all are guilty of getting on the toys at one time or another and just thinking that we are going to putt around so there is no need to get the helmet on. Just two weeks ago a good friend of mine got on my Raptor to just putt around and see the difference a 12 tooth sprocket makes because he has a Raptor too and was thinking about making some changes. Well to make a long story short his ride lasted less than 10 seconds and then he was going one way and my Raptor was going another. His body just missed an oak tree by about 18 inches. He was very lucky and got away with some bumps and bruises. The Raptor did not do so well though but it is only nuts and bolts and he was very close to being hurt really bad. WEAR the HELMETS and don't let friends ride your toys!

Old 12-27-2000, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

No one should ever ride without a helmet, crack your melon and you die-end of your riding days forever. I would never even consider it-love my Arai and it loves me back. End of sermon.

Old 12-27-2000, 11:13 AM
Range Rover

01Grizzly,

Good story Griz, It was even better to read about it from you, then read about it from your local papers.

Old 12-27-2000, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

Raptorrc, I was checking out your webpage and I saw some pictures from down at the Brazos River...where is that at? Do ya'll do alot of riding? I live about 20 minutes east of you in Grand Prairie and I am always looking for some people to ride with since all my buddies sold there ATV's and I have NO ONE to ride with.

99 Banshee, FMF Fattys, Power Core 2 silencers, K&N filter with precharger, yellow maier racing fenders

www.geocities.com/mgrigsby21

Old 12-27-2000, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

01Griz,

Man that was a close one! I was reading your post getting a bad feeling.

Your right about wearing helmets. My riding partner was pulling his 400ex out of his truck when one of his homemade wooden ramps busted. The ATV & my friend went flipping over sideways & crashed into the front of my truck. Both survived but one of them had a bad headache.

Heres to the year 2001, may it be a better year for riding.

Old 12-27-2000, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

man im glad your ok. just goes to show you just never know what might happen and it always happens when you least expect it.

Old 12-27-2000, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/raptorridersofnorthtexas

Check this out. We are allways looking for more riders and places to ride. email me at this site to try and schedule a ride together. We ride just about every weekend. The Brazos River where we ride is about 30 miles west of Fort Worth and then south about 9 miles. You would be welcome to join us.

Old 12-28-2000, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

HELMETS JUST MAKE YOUR FACE PRETTY WHILE YOUR IN A CASKET.

Quick Reply: Helmets?