Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ITP tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP tire ?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DevRUBIrider

I love my MUDLITE XTRs on my 05 Honda Rubicon. There a radial and are great in every riding condition I have been in. It seems like I ride in about the same conditions you do. So they should make you happy. They have great traction and ride very smoothly. They ride fine in rocks and any other terrian. They did not slow down my ATV or make me loose any power.( I am running the stock sizes at 25" tall). I know there are better mud tires out there, but this tire in my opinion is the best for all around trail riding. They are pretty cheap on Ebay too. You can get the 25" for US $348.99 with free shipping. Thats how I bought mine. Hope i helped.</end quote></div>

You are right the XTR by comparison to the other Mudlites are the smoothes, for three reasons the tread design is different creating a sort of a center band and secondly they are a radial, so the sidewalls are helping to smooth them out. Thirdly, check the weight of the tires, these things are no lightweights (23-35lbs each, 23 for a 25x8x12 up to 35 for a 27x11x12). (Heavy in my book is good). Being very smooth compared to other brands would create a lot of debate.
Being the best all around trail tire would create a lot of debate also.
I ride with a lot of different people, machines, and tires over a wide variety of terrain, I frequently will guide 5 to 10 out of state riders on both Sat and Sunday from a 50 to 70 mile ride each day. And I see first hand what their equipment will do, not only their tires but there machines their riding abilities etc.
I will honestly tell you that the Mudlites by far are the most purchased aftermarket tire, but not necesariily the absolute best. A lot of hype and over-rating has stired up a sellers market on them. Don't get me wrong they are good but not as good as a lot have claimed. Their best efforts come in the mud, thick heavy mud, as long as you don't go too wide - like 12 inches too wide, wider tires seem to kill them instead of helping. Other area's (rocks, sand, gravel etc) they are average or a little above, and in the case of the XTR'x above avererage for smoothness. But there are a lot of tires that are above them in other areas and can equal or come very close to them in the thick mud. In watery mud they don't seem to do much better than several other types, and the AT's actually do worse because they are so light and want to float when it gets deep.
There are two ways to get through mud:
1) A heavy machine, with heavy, narrow, very agressive tires, heavy steel wheels and gobs of ground clearance - to sink down and grab the solid stuff. (This is where 98% of us are at)
2) A very light machine, alloy wheels, with very wide light tires with 2" to 3" or more paddle lugs 'true mud/paddle tire' - try to wheelie a little and skim the machine and paddle it through. You will also need a locker on the front. And keep as much weight as you can on the back even if it means sitting or standing on the rear rack. This is the other 2% that drive to the mud hole change tires, put on their mudders and go for it or they trailer it to the mud hole. Not your typical trail machine.

That is my story and I am sticking to it... lol..
Food for thought - why do you suppose that tractor tires are so narrow and they also fill them with liquid, and sometimes even put big blocks of cement on the back. - to sink them down to sollid ground to find traction and to take what ever loose turf directly under the tire and pack it down so tight that it becomes closer to a hard solid surface that are molded to the cleats/lugs.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITP tire ?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 2007 Grizzley 450

Does this lug depth add weight to the tire or strain the atv more than the standard ITP mud lite? Most of my riding is in dirt and over rocky surfaces, occasional mud holes. Would the added lug depth help in loose rocky climbing.</end quote></div>

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that you want an ALL-Terrain Tire like the Maxxis BigHorns, Dirt Tamer (basically a bias-ply Bighorn) or the ITP TerraCross. I ride the same as you with my 07 Grizz. I plan on getting the 25" Bighorns for my Grizz once I either want better traction or my stockers wear out...

On thing I don't want to lose is the ability to go into tight places... I love my Grizz 450!

BigHorn Review