Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.
View Poll Results: Should a 30-year-old medium skilled rider buy a Raptor 660?
Perhaps. Just be careful and you should be alright.
0%
YES - Live fast and die young brother!
0%
NO - Start with something that has smaller balls
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

New 660 Raptor and Scared of Myself

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 660 Raptor and Scared of Myself

G'day - nice to meet you.

I got a pretty good deal on an 04 Raptor 660 on Craigstlist. I was originally looking for something fast but also with good clearance and good on trails. A friend of mine has a Raptor 700 that's been jetted, aftermarket pipe, K&N air filter, etc. His runs like greased lightening. I've never been on a quad anywhere near as fast as that.

After reading some more reviews and threads on the 660 I've come to realize it might not be the best match for my skill level and personality. I've only had about 20 hours of riding time in over the last few years. But I go *****-to-the-wall in everything I do and find it real hard to hold back. It's good because it allows me to learn quickly, but it's bad because I want to live to a ripe old age. I'm already nursing a torn rotator cuff from snowboarding, and another friend broke his color bone and tibia while riding with us last week.

Anyway, I'm rambling... The point is, should someone with only about 20 hours of riding experience (as an adult. I had a few bikes as a kid) get a raptor 660? And if so...

Questions:
What gear ratio would you suggest for me?
Should I invest the money into widening the bike out? Should it be lower, or just wider, given that I climb around some pretty big rocks sometimes.
Should I keep everything stock for awhile?

It has a lot of torque in low gears but takes awhile to get there. On the other hand I can't seem to get the thing in fifth; there just isn't enough straight-away. It's so fast it wants to pull my face off. This is why I thought about changing the sprocket size, but then I come here and read that you should actually go higher to "calm the gears" when you start out on one of these things.

I like to do all types of riding, from dunes to dirt to trails and steep hills. But I'm a little worried to try a hill on this since I hear the front end comes up so easily.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would go with the Raptor. It doesn't take long to get a good feal for it, just watch the braveness. Getting brave too quick will get you hurt!! I can't really comment on the bike because as a kid, I grew up on them but I remember my first Hotrod pretty good. It was a 10.70@126mph '78 Camaro. I was 17 and it took me 4 months of going to the track before I grew ***** to keep my foot in it to run 11's. After 6 mos I was trying to get 10.50's out of it. Point is, your experience will grow into it.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with SlowAzz... you will grow into it. If you're concerned about overdoin it, just turn in the throttle limit screw some, till you start feeling like you need more acceleration. That's what it's there for, to calm things down a bit for beginners.

I had about 20-30 hours on a 400EX when i got my Rappy, and it still scares me sometimes... but what a kick in the pants, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 660 is fine for someone with little experience, but you will need to exhibit some throttle control. Since you say rocks are in the diet, I wouldn't run anything smaller than 20" rear tires. Speaking of which, what tires are on it now? You can improve handling by running something like a holeshot or razr tire over the stock knobbies. Your best bet for stability though is to go wider. Again, you can gain a few inches front and rear with a different offset rim from stock. You COULD use wheel spacers. Those are a cheap way to get width, but not recommended for jumping or other m ore extreme activities. The best way to get wider is a new axle and a-arms, but this is $$$. Go ahead and grab a 1 tooth larger front sprocket and try that. The gearing difference will be big, but they only cost about $15.00. Other than that, just ride within your abilities. The Raptor is capable of more than you are right now, so take it easy out there.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

It wouldn't let me vote, but I say keep it and just control yourself. Remember that your a beginner, and just because you see someone else doing something on their quad, doesn't mean that you have the skills/abilites yet to do it too.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definetly keep the raptor because as stated you will grow into it and with it. Definetly widen the quad for stability, different rims, and an axle and a-arms. Get the bigger front sprocket as scooter86 said. The raptor scared me the first time I got on one, and I had hundreds of hours of riding under my belt (mainly 250s and dirtbikes) so it was quite a shock to get on a quad like the raptor that stood up on me in 2nd gear.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. It's good to hear that you don't suggest trading it for something else. I was hoping you would say that.

So I'm going to try to take it easy (it's hard once you're up there and having fun...) and will definiately NOT go smaller on the sprocket, although I don't think I'm going to go larger either.

Here's what I'll do:

Wider axels / A-arms (if budget permits)
Aftermarket Exhaust & Air Filter
Jets
Larger rims/tires

That should allow me to keep the heigh while widening it out to make it more stable on turns. It will have all the power it needs, but I'll just be carefull with it and will adjust the throttle limit screw to keep things in check for the first few weeks.

Question
Below are the specs on the stock wheels. What size do you recommend going up to?

The front is 21x7x10
The rear is 20x10x9

Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Those are pretty much the standard sport quad tire size, probably the stockers? What you want are rims with more offset. Those will get you an inch or two wider front and rear. Many aftermarket performance tires for the rear are going to be 11" wide, so there you would be getting a 20x11x9. Taller tires will raise your ground clearence for rocks and such, but hurt the handling somewhat. Changing tire size also changes overall gearing. For trail riding there is no reason to change rim diameter from current.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK so I'll stay at 21 front and 20 back for height, but should I get wider fronts or just wider back tires? Should I take the backs to just 11 or shold I go even wider?

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Well, I don't know that anyone sells a 12" wide rear sport tire? I wouldn't worry about the fronts. Really, the best way to go wider is through rims and/or axle/arms. Why don't you ride it for a while and see what you would like to upgrade?

Quick Reply: New 660 Raptor and Scared of Myself