Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Electrical problem 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 2wd

Hello, I'm new but I have a slight problem and any insight would be helpful. I have a 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 2wd that I trail ride once or twice a month. I wash it alot and even under the seat, mainly because it's been so dusty with little rain.

But I noticed yesterday it didn't want to idle good so I cleaned the breather element out real good and sprayed a silicone protector under the seat when I was done to help keep the dust off everything. I thought maybe it was the new plug I got gone bad but usually last time it didn't idle good after a ride was because dirt in the breather element.

So after I was done went to start it and got a buzzing sound so I let it set a day thinking I got water on something. Then it would crank/buzz intermittently. When it started it still wouldn't idle very good but was ok when you hit the throttle. So I took it for a little ride around the house hoping it would warm up and dry out whatever might be wet.

But it kept hesitating at low speeds and ran fine once you nail the throttle. So I was a few feet from my driveway and shut it off to see if it would start back, actually it quit on it's own when I let off the gas. And it still buzz/cranked intermittently but much weaker sounding.

Then all power went out, no lights power or anything, and then the neutral light came back on for a second and now everything is out again.

I thought maybe have something to do with the headlight bulbs I changed a few weeks ago one is dim off and on with a bad contact because the socket is worn. And it does that every now and then.

But I've never lost all power before.

Did I get something wet? Fry a computer under the seat because it got silicone spray on something? Am I screwed?

Not much of a mechanic any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Newbie.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The first thing I would check is corrosion around the battery terminals. If there is any build-up it will cause a bad connection. And the battery may be getting weak. These are things to look for on the buzzing/starting issue, I dont know what to tell you on the idle problems.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

The battery cables were loose so I tightened them. That fixed the short. For the idle problem I got some fresh high octane gas with a bottle of gas dry and filled my tank up with that. I also bought a new spark plug but haven't put it in yet because it's raining.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, it starts up and doesn't die but won't idle worth a ****. When you ride it it hesitates or misses at low speed but when you nail it it's fine. I did change the spark plug the original plug I took out a few weeks ago, gave away to a friend since then, looked normal. The one I just took out and been running for a few weeks looks black on the end with gas or carbon build up. But that could have been from where my battery terminals weren't fastened properly. So I changed it Yamaha said the gap was .28 to .32. The old plug and the one I put in both had a gap of .20 to .24. So I gapped the new one today at .30. No difference in running.

The only thing I did when I cleaned the breather was stuff a rag in the intake, it is possible a little water could have gotten in the intake but I added a dash of Heet gas dry to my full tank of high octane gas just in case there is water in the carb. But I really can't tell the difference when I ride it.

I noticed the choke appears to be a little stiff, I seldom use it because I never need it. It acts similiar to the choke being on from the past. But the choke and cable appear to be working and it is in fact off unless it's sticking in the carb.

So what do you think? Sticky choke, water in the intake, electrical short, other?

As always your help is much appreciated.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Try draining the float bowl, there might be water in there. Try draining it into a clear glass container, and let it settle out...If you see water, you probably got it all. If you see dirt, then its time to clean out the carb.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, I did drain the float bowl for a good while and let gas run through it. Then I started it and it did the same low idle miss unless you rev it or hold the rpms up a little then it doesn't miss. So drained the float bowl again. Same thing.

But as soon as you let the rpms drop or try to let it idle it picks up the hesitation or miss and quits.

I also fixed the ground on my headlight it's working fine.

Any other suggestions? Do you think I got water on something else I mean I rode 10 hours the day before this started and never had a problem with a hesitation or miss when I parked it. Only after I cleaned it.

Thanks for all your help, I think I did something stupid to it I'm sure and I hate to put it in the shop for that.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did the air filter get installed correctly..totally leak free? Oiled enough but not too much? Lid back on the box?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I never oiled. But I never oiled it before only cleaned it. And it kind of just snaps in place.

Is there an air screw? I tried adjusting the idle screw but it didn't seem to change anything.

I just check the new plug the tip black with carbon build up and wet.

I guess it's rich all of a sudden and I don't know why. What do you think?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Unless you do a plug chop, reading the spark plug is meaningless. Just go by the drivibility symptoms.
Youll need to oil the filter, having a dry filter isnt doing any good. Its the oil which traps and holds dirt, ..the foam just holds the oil in place.
My guess...the dirt got by the dry filter, and plugged the air bleed in the carb. I think the carbs got to come off and be cleaned out, especially the pilot circuit ( pilot jet, air bleed and mixture screw). The mixture screw is on the bottom side of carb, in front of the float bowl.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, a friend came over later who also has a 2001 Kodiak 400 4x4 and a full repair manual to help me look at it.

I forgot to mention the couple of rides I've been on in the past 2 months were a good 10 hours with half hour breaks on occasion and it was so damn dusty the goggles couldn't keep the dust out where it hadn't rained for a while also there were like 12 ATV's in the group and I was close to the last in the pack on both rides. Basically the worst position on the extremely dusty trail.

So not oiling that filter could have been a factor and my friend told me that during the first ride even one of the guys riding with us checked his air filter and said "Man, I'm glad I soaked that thing in oil before coming out today."

But I didn't know about the oil for the filter and maybe it finally caught up with me. That and last time I washed it maybe I got a little water in the intake and it washed the dust down in the carb and it dried and solidified somewhere.

But like I said when I drained the bowl it flowed good and appeared clear.

My friend was able to adjust the idle screw...maybe it vibrated around as did my battery terminal cables I had to tighten. But it does idle better now but still sounds a bit off. At least it doesn't die now when you let off the gas and the engine brake engages.

I also cleaned the spark arrestor...it had a good bit of carbon but no big chunks. I wonder if that is all new or been going on for a while. It looked like the tip of the plug I had in and the new plug I put in a few days ago.

Can the clogged carb do all that? I know the low idle miss/hesitation but can it cause that carbon build up?

Also, do I have to take the carb apart? Or can I get an ATV fuel additive first and try running it through a good tank of gas.

Also, you can bet I will be oiling my filter first thing. Instead of buying more spark plugs right now I think I will clean and alternate the two that I have until it leans out.

As always your insight is very much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 2wd