Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WARRIOR OR 400EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2000, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET 400EX OR A WARRIOR.I CANT DECIDE HOW MUCH ILL NEED REVERSE AND I DONT KNOW IF I WANT THE KICK START..THANKS MARC

Old 12-30-2000, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

get a 400ex......it has electric start
the honda is faster and handles better

Old 12-30-2000, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

Get a warrior it can be just as fast with a few mods and you still wont pay as much for the few mods as you would a 400ex and with a warrior you will have revs and electric start to, you get more for your money with a warrior.

Old 12-30-2000, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

LOL

Old 12-30-2000, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

400EX.
It's way more modern...well...reverse is cool too...tough choice!
Couldn't choose myself!!
Get informed on reliability, and price...maybe that will make a difference

Old 12-30-2000, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

It will take alot of mods to make a warrior keep up with a 400ex.............don't get me wrong I love Yamaha and I owned a warrior and loved it and now own a wolverine but have ridden a 400ex many times and it is alot more fun to ride.......it is lighter and wheelies for days. Both of these atv's are bullet proof but the Honda is more fun.

Old 12-30-2000, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same dilema. When I first read about the 400EX I was like this is the quad that I want. Then I got to the words "no reverse" and my heart sank. For me and my riding I feel that the reverse was more important than the extra performance. So I guess that it is up to you - extra performance or reverse. You can add aftermarket performance parts to the warrior but as far as I know you can't add reverse to the 400EX unless you get off and push. Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-30-2000, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have a warrior and i love the reverse but i would rather get a 400. I rode my friends uncle's and it is a little faster and the handling is better. It took me a month to start jumping my warrior and the first hour i was jumping w/ the 400. the frame and weight balance is a lot better (400) Like for whelies and everything. The onlything is the reverse. They both arent real good in mud or snow but ya can dodge the mud and it only snows about 3 mounths of the year, so thats the way i would go. But the dicision and mony is totally yours. besides, the warrior and the 400 both dont have back up starters except real old warriors. So that sucks too plus you dont see as many 400 so people see ya and go, dam that guys lucky!

1993 warrior
WB pipe
K & N power kit
teather kill switch
spider trax tires
ceet grafics and gripper seat cover

Old 12-31-2000, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

Hi! I just started riding 2 1/2 yrs ago and I had a Warrior I rode for over 2 yrs. I have been riding my 400EX for 3 months and have only missed one weekend riding. I can speak from my experience with both machines. My Warrior had modifications that included an FMF pipe which gave it a lot more strength in hill climbs and yet my 400EX has just as much hill climbing power stock. The Warrior was a terrific machine in tight woods trails but what I found is that when it came to extreme terrain (that included boulders, huge roots and ruts) the handling was lacking seriously. We ride fast and hard and I found I was fighting to control the Warrior over the rough stuff. I feel the Warrior is excellent for those who ride mostly well-groomed trails or smoother woods trails and don't plan on ******* it out at high speeds over rock fields. I am more than thrilled with my 400 though and wouldn't go back to a Warrior ever. The clutch pulls easier, the shift lever has a better feel, the suspension soaks up the rough stuff like a dream and if you have your rear compression and rebound set right it handles AWESOME in whoops sections. The power is fantastic and I have not been disappointed yet about my 400. I gave careful thought to the lack of reverse on it and I DO ride every kind of imaginable trail including tight ones that are set aside for "dirt bike only" use. I am not saying it is always a piece of cake to manuver it around but it is WORTH it for the machine you get to ride!!!!! I was surprised by how easy it was right from the start to remember I didn't have reverse and plan ahead in all possible situations. That cut down on a lot of getting off and pushing. There are still those times when I can't prepare ahead but like I said, it is worth it.
I think you could be happy with a Warrior because they are good machines but another thing I encountered with riding so much was reliability problems. Due to tackling such rugged terrain on a regular basis, I had parts break off (not from wrecking) such as my rear brake assembly busting loose and dangling. I had problems of some kind almost every weekend I rode. I even busted the rear shock and I only weigh 125 lbs. I got many hours of enjoyment out of my Warrior but I think I have already had more fun on my 400 in the past 3 months. I am not bashing Warriors, I still display photos of my Warrior on my photo albums and I made many excellent memories with it , but 400EXs are out of this world awesome!!!!!! Angelon400ex

Old 12-31-2000, 09:44 PM
jts
Trailblazer

Did you say kickstart. Thery're both electric

Quick Reply: WARRIOR OR 400EX