Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

hot cam for raptor 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot cam for raptor 350

just the 366 kit (bore kit, mid cam,valve springs) will give you a 35% power increase. then if you add a full exhaust air filter and jet kit, you got yourself a very nice power increase. right now my bike is stock as far as performance, and my buddy got a 06 400ex with a big gun evo x full exhaust, k&n filter, jet kit. we race all the time on all types of terrain and i'm right behind him the whole time, he pulls on me a little but from 0 to about 60 he gets about 2 lengths. i really think after i do all this work to mine i will be right by his side or maybe even beet him. its funny cause he kinda knows it too and his talking bout getting the 446 kit for his. a 366cc beating a 400cc now thats funny. thats a yamaha for ya.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

The whole air cooled thing has been bugging me too. But I am going to get the oil cooler kit from FST and hopefully that will keep it cool enough. Hopefully in the Spring i'll get the 446 or 460 kit and get it ported.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WalkinDaRaptor

the only problem with the 396 is, the raptor is air cooled, and going that much bigger is gonna run alot hotter, i'm not saying it will make the bike overheat, but if you notice most of the quads 400 cc and up are liquid cooled, they are that way for a reason.</end quote></div>

You need to get the oil cooler kit if you go to a stroker.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Raptor450

the only problem with the 396 is, the raptor is air cooled, and going that much bigger is gonna run alot hotter, i'm not saying it will make the bike overheat, but if you notice most of the quads 400 cc and up are liquid cooled, they are that way for a reason.</end quote></div>

You need to get the oil cooler kit if you go to a stroker.</end quote></div>

why?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Jasonp

why?</end quote></div>

I'm a little confused as to why YOU are asking. You make yourself out to be an engine guru, and I'm just a backyard mechanic who has a little mechanical common sense. But anyway, it's obvious the larger displacement is gonna generate more heat, so you need something to help get rid of that heat. And besides, why did you put an oil cooler setup on yours?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Jasonp

why?</end quote></div>

I'm a little confused as to why YOU are asking. You make yourself out to be an engine guru, and I'm just a backyard mechanic who has a little mechanical common sense. But anyway, it's obvious the larger displacement is gonna generate more heat, so you need something to help get rid of that heat. And besides, why did you put an oil cooler setup on yours?</end quote></div>
Sorry, you are the one to me that came across as the engine guru.
I put an oil cooler on mine to keep from having to change the oil every 10 hours. That's basically what an oil cooler does is help extend the life of the oil and keep the oil from breaking down so fast. I wouldn't say it actually cools the engine down though.
What interesting here is that powroll has a 430cc kit but they don't sell an oil cooler kit or recomend one, they do recomend changing the oil a lot.
I would for recomend one to anybody with a air cooled engine.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

For JASONP (too many quotes) - Oh, I thought the oil cooler only helped keep the engine cool. See, I told told you that you knew more about this stuff than I do! When I got the 446, FST and everybody else told me I needed the oil cooler. I figured they knew more than I did about it, so I went ahead and got one. It would seem it would have some cooling effect, because the cooler has a little radiator to dissapate heat out of the oil, therefore keeping engine temps cooler. But I see what you are saying about the oil breaking down.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

So the oil cooler doesnt make the engine run cooler? But if i get a 446 or a 460 i should get it anyway?

Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Range Rover

oil cooler does what it says... cools the oil.