Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is it ok to use Wal-Mart 2-cycle oil in a blaster or other 2 strokes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it ok to use Wal-Mart 2-cycle oil in a blaster or other 2 strokes?

You will be safe as long as the oil meets the same specs as what it says in the manual. heck.. we had a 78 DT250 that ran off LawnBoy lawnmower 2-stroke oil for more than 5 years. Also got a 79 GT with 1500 backyard miles on it and it has been run off outboard 2-stroke oil all its life. Some people think they can buy insurance with a brand name... It is true when it comes to Amsoil or Mobil 1 but otherwise they have found many oils to work better than most of oils branded by the factory. Stay away from the black bottles with generic lables.. but any of the big brand names with the correct spec rating should be fine. A lot of things play into how long your motor lasts. A $10 bottle oil won't help you if you let old gas sit in your carb over winter or if mice eat your air filter.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run klotz in the blater i just bought and i run amsoil in my stuff too

Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I got some YamaLube today for the ATV's. I did see the Castrol at WalMart while I was there though and it looked pretty good. It was in the atv section of walmart and is pretty cheap. about 1/3 of the cost of YamaLube.
I like the YamaLube stuff but wouldn't mind trying the Castrol as well. I wish I had a owners manual for my Blaster here but can anyone here confirm that the Castrol 2 stroke oil from wal-mart is ok for Blasters and Banshees? The Castrol from Wal-Mart that I am talking about comes in a white 1 quart oil and says it is for atv's and is good for oil injection, (Blasters).

Well thanks again everyone for all the replies. And if anyone here uses Castrol 2 Stroke Oil from Wal-Mart please let me know.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh I should also mention that the oil I was originally asking about was Supertech from wal-mart but the supertech didn't even say for ATV's on it. It just said for Lawnmowers etc. Then I later on found the Castrol. The Castrol looks interesting to me because it is cheaper and alot easier to get.

Anyone here use the Castrol stuff in their Banshees or Blasters?

Old 08-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, here's the story about oil. Yamaha DOES NOT make oil. So buying Yamaha brand is buying some other brand. Depending on the length of the contract, it will change supplier, but the spec will be the same.

Having said that, the base of nearly all Dinosaur oils is the same. What makes the difference is the additive package. The specs are important. If they say they are "CERTIFIED" at the appropriate spec it should be safe.

Now, as to oils like AmsOil and others, often they do not say "CERTIFIED" but conforms with or is better than. That means they have not paid the lab to get the certification. Maybe they are better or equal may be not. Just remember the company has chosen NOT to be certified.

The same goes for synthetic oils. Hybrid mixes (dino/synthetic) are usually unique in blend and additive packages. If certified, they are good to go.

BTW, did I mention being certified?