Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Please help Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help Me

1) You can go to http://www.yamaha-motor.com/ they have the online parts brake down go to this site and click on sport then click on parts & servicethen click on view parts catalog then click proceed to parts catalog enter the bike info at the top of the page. This will give you part numbers on all parts on your bike and help you see how things com apart. This is free and offered by yamaha. It helps.

2) I would tack your gas tank off and dump all the fuel out. Do not reuse it. Let the tank dry out and you may need to flush it out to get the trash out. Use gas not water. Let the tank hang upside down to dry out.

3) Tack the petcok( the fuel on off at the botom of the tank) apart and clean it out. You may need to replace a few small gaskets. They are cheap.

4) Replace the fuel line with a clear one and get a clear in line fuel filter so you can see if there is trash in the tank.

5) Then do the carbs. The jets have small holes in them so you can use a bread tie to help or a peace of small stiff wire to clean the holes out. You should be able to see through all the holes and when you do the carbs after you sock thim in carb cleaner use compresed air to blow air through all the holes in the carbs then re-assemble them.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

Yea thats a good idea.

Do you think those 2 things could of been the main problem tho?

What are some things that could cause the boots to come off.

Also, when I was lookin at my air filter i noticed that the foam part closest to the air intake was all crumbly. As i rubbed my thumb across it little particles of it came off. Do you think that that could of got sucked into the carb. I proboly need a new filter at this point right?

Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please help Me

hey man if you are continuing to have problems with the carb,check and make sure the jet is stock if the bike is stock.or if all else fails replace the carb.check the fuel for h2o or replace the fuel and spark plug.then give it a try.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default Please help Me

Yes you need a new filter. If the motor sucked it in, it should have just burned it. I'm not sure if it would mess up the carbs.

I'm out of ideas.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Please help Me

'01 Raptors are famous for blowing off the carb boots (from backfires, etc). They were redesigned for '02 and later to eliminate this problem. All of the symptoms you described can be attributed to a loose carb boot. This allows outside air to get into the intake, and causes the bike to run very lean.

Remount the carbs, tighten the boots down as tight as you can and the problems should go away. You can get aftermarket boots to eliminate a revisit of the problem in the future.

Good Luck!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

haha ok thanks guys... but just my luck. As I was working on taking the carbs off I noticed it was wet by the front a arms. I was like Wtf is this.

Anyway I concluded that its oil and alot of it. I think it is leaking from the bottom of the oil tank.

Do I need to replace the whole thing or can I just replace an oil ring or something from the bottom tube?

Thanks again you guys help alot

Old 09-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please help Me

First I'd try tightening the hose fitting.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

ok do you think i should go into the carbs while I'm at it or just fix the leak, reseat the boots and see if and how it runs. I adjusted the valves before which were extremely tight

Old 09-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please help Me

if it ran ok before, and the boots' leaking is the problem now, no need to mess with the carbs and possibly create more problems.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

nah man it ran real crappy the one day and then the next it wouldn't start. Do you think the others issues i listed would cause it to not run at all.

I explained it more towards the top of the thread.