Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Please help Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help Me

Actually, you talked alot about what you've done or haven't done, but very little about the symptoms that led up to this... other than it won't start now.

"nah man it ran real crappy the one day and then the next it wouldn't start" implies that perhaps three days ago it was just fine...

Start at the last time it was running well, if ever. What was the first problematic symtom that you recall, under what circumstances and how has it progressed?

You say that it was just 3 months since the last professional 'carb cleaning'. Did it run well after that? If not, what were the exact symptoms?

Can't troubleshoot a problem without a good definition of the problem.

Also, don't do any carb adjusting till you put a new air filter on. With your current filter effectively not there, more air is allowed thru, making the system run lean. If you adjust carbs now, you'll just have to do it again when you replace the filter.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Quad-Maniac

Actually, you talked alot about what you've done or haven't done, but very little about the symptoms that led up to this... other than it won't start now.

"nah man it ran real crappy the one day and then the next it wouldn't start" implies that perhaps three days ago it was just fine...

Start at the last time it was running well, if ever. What was the first problematic symtom that you recall, under what circumstances and how has it progressed?

You say that it was just 3 months since the last professional 'carb cleaning'. Did it run well after that? If not, what were the exact symptoms?

Can't troubleshoot a problem without a good definition of the problem.

Also, don't do any carb adjusting till you put a new air filter on. With your current filter effectively not there, more air is allowed thru, making the system run lean. If you adjust carbs now, you'll just have to do it again when you replace the filter.</end quote></div>

After the first professional carb cleaning it ran great.

The next time (proboly a few months later). I went to go out with my friend and it started up real poorly. Had to work this the choke and throttle to get it going. As I went into gear to go down the street i was jerked around by the throttle cutting out then coming back in. Ran real shakey after that.

The next day I went to start it it would only idle with some choke and throttle play, then after a certain amount of time it would stall by of means which seemed like a backfire through the boots.

The day after that when I would try to start it, the starter motor would only turn off. My friend's dad gave me some ether to spray in and in turned over for a few seconds indicating a fuel problem.

And Yes the filter was in when all of this was going on. I only checked it out later to find that it was deteriorating.

thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please help Me

Bad running after the 2 months sitting is likely due to evaporating fuel leaving deposits (gunk) in the carbs - jets and float vlaves. You need to turn off the gas petcock and run at idle till the bowls run empty before putting it away. This will eliminate most of this type of problem.

Once it was stumbling, due to gunk in the carbs, you likely blew off a carb boot when backfiring, causing the no start at all on the next day.

One other possibility for the 'stumbling' is the RPM limiter, but I dont' think thats it in this case, cuz you say the probs started after sitting for a while... but, just in case: If the parking brake switch has failed, or if the reverse switch wire is loose, the CDI will turn on the RPM limiter which will make it run terribly when you get on the throttle, lurch, stumble, sometimes die. In your case, it was idleing badly too, so i dont think this is the problem, but worth a check anyway. You should check the green/white wire where it connects to the reverse switch (just below the sprocket) and verify that it's well connected. You can also disconnect the two wires (green/yellow and black) that go to the parking brake switch to disable it. If this makes things better, great. But I don't think it's your problem.

Solutions:

Clean the jets and float valves to get rid of the deposits left by evaporation of the gas while sitting for so long

Make sure the intake manifold to carb boots are properly placed and very tight

Empty your float bowls if the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks

Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

yea weirdly enough i did drain the float chambers by turning the drain screw and collecting the gas at the bottom.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please help Me

Then it's not too likely that the carbs have dirtied up again, unless you sucked something in thru the bad air filter, even then not too likely. Try the carb boots alone and see what happens.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

Yea i talked with my grandpa about it and said the course of action I should take is as follows.

1. Drain Gas tank and clean it out realy well (letting it dry for several days)

2. By a new fuel/gas filter

3. Reseat the boots

4. Fix oil leak

5. Only put on the gas tank and see if it runs. if not then it would be jusified to go into the carbs.

Range Rover
Default Please help Me

Yea i talked with my grandpa about it and said the course of action I should take is as follows.

3. Reseat the boots

4. Fix oil leak

5. Only put on the gas tank and see if it runs. if not then it would be jusified to go into the carbs.

Range Rover
Default Please help Me

3. Reseat the boots

4. Fix oil leak

Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please help Me

That sounds like a good linear approach!

That sounds like a good linear approach!

That sounds like a good linear approach! (excuse the poor humor)

Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Range Rover
Default Please help Me

yea I'm gunna run to the Yamaha dealer one of these days and get the following things

1. new fuel filter
2. new air filter
3. New oil plug w/ seal (found that the leak was coming from the nut directly underneath the oil tank)