Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rims?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims?????

i have 11x8 rear rims and 20x11x8 rear tires on my warrior. I want to put 9x9 rear rims and 18x10x9 tires. would this work out ok? i found a tire and wheel pakage on rockymountianatv.com. the pakage contains 2 9x9 rims and 2 18x10x9 tires already mounted. First will a 10in. wide tire fit on a 9in. wide rim? My reasoning for changing rims is because i want lower profile tires and i don't like the 11 wide and 8 diamiter. the rims on it now aren't stock. the stock rims are 11x9. i'm also changing rims because i don't like the 20x11x8. basicaly i want to have that racing kinda look. but i don't want the rear rims too wide or too small. and i want the front tires to line up in the middle of the rear tires. right now the rear tires stick out about 2 inches from the front and i don't like the way it looks. if anybody knows what the best move is please let me know. thnx for your help.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Rims?????

18" rear tires look good, but they will kill your ground clearance in the rear for going over ruts. You can put a 10" wide rear tire on a 9" wide rim. This will actually be better, as the tire will be wider and help protect the edge of the rim some.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

ok so then i should get the package with the 9x9 rims and 18x10x9 tires.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

What kind of riding do you do and what kind of rims and tires are in the package? The Douglas .190 rims work OK, but they are soft and bend very easily. I would recomend those only for drag racing or sand dune riding. The Baja wheels have the simulated beadlock and hold up very good to abuse. I would highly recommend those for trail riding. Keep in mind the 18's will throw your gearing off, so you may want to go up some teeth in the front or go down some teeth in the rear to compensate.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

most of the riding i do would be trail riding and sometimes in the pit and river. the rims and tires in the pakage are ITP T9 .190 Pro Series (Aluminum) with HoleShot MXR4 tires. I'm looking at the magazine right now and I was wrong the tire size is 19x10x9 not 18. the tires on my warrior now are 20. would 19 make that much of a difference to where i would still have to change my sproket size? also my front rims are 8x10. would this have any affect if i change my rear rims to 9x9. stock the front is stock. the rear stock is 11x9. but i think the 11's are too wide. so i dunno if i should go 9x9 or 10x9. i'm confused when it comes to changing rim sizes and tire sizes.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

9" round rims will be better than the 8" mainly because you will have more tire selections to pick from. This will not affect the front. Most people have 10" round rims on the front. For trail riding, I would highly recommend at least a 20" tall tire for clearing ruts and rocks. A 18" or 19" tire will get hung up on everything. 20"s are bad enough. If you do go with the 19's, you will lose a little top end speed, but add a little acceleration. So if you don't mind that you could keep your sprockets like they are, otherwise you would still need to change it. You could go +1 tooth in the front for $20. The Holeshot MXR4 are supposed to be designed for motocross, and I believe they are only 2 ply. Not very good for trail riding as they are soft and prone to getting punctured easily. But what can I say, I run 2 ply on the rear of mine and haven't had any problems...yet. Here's a little tip...if you pump them up a little tighter than normal, they will be harder to puncture than if you run them slack. If you run them slack the tire has a tendancy to "roll" in a sliding turn and you will actually be sliding on the sidewall, and any little rock will then make for a bad day with a puntured sidewall. I would recommend the 9x9 rims with at least a 10" wide tire to help protect the rim. I really think you will hate yourself later if you get that combo. You REALLY need a taller tire and a heavier duty rim for trail riding. That combo is meant for drag,TT, and motocross racing, not hardcore trail riding.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

oh ok, i look at another selsection that has rims and tires closer to my riding specs. i just want something that looks good but i also don't want too much tire. i'll see what i can find though. thnx

Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

The Holeshot GNCC's are an excellent choice. They look good and are 6 ply, so they will hold up well and hook up very good, and they are still lightweight for a 6 ply. A 20x11x9 on a 9x9 rim will look good and give you that needed ground clearance. Yeah 18's and 19's look good, but you have to sacrifice on looks for performance. The Maxxis I-Razr's look good but I don't know how well they perform. I have had a set of the Holeshot HD's and a set of the Holeshot XCR's, and didn't like the way either one hooked up. I have friends that have the Razr-2's and they don't like them either. I'm not trying to hog your post, I'm just trying to help you out. I wish somebody else would give their opinion!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

i was looking at the holeshot gncc and they sound like a pretty good tire. i was thinking about going with them instead of the mxr4's and mxr6's. i'm looking at the catalog i got from Rocky Mountain and they don't have the 20x11x9. they do have a 20x10x9 do you know how the 20x10x9 will look on a 9x9 rim? and also do you think the ITP T-9 Pro Series wheel would do the job? I noticed the T-9 Baja Polished. now are they beadlock or are they just made that way?

Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rims?????

20x10x9 will still look good on a 9" rim. You would never really notice any difference between an 11" wide and a 10" wide tire. The Baja rims are not beadlock, they have a reinforcing ring on the outer edges that looks similar to a beadlock to strengthen the rim where it needs it most. Unless the Pro series have some kind of rolled edges, they will bend really easily. Looking at the picture of them, it looks like they do not have any kind of reinforced edges. We learned the hard way not to run rims like that for trail riding. My Warrior came with a set of 10" Douglas .190's, and every time we went riding I would bend one. I didn't even know I hit anything and they would still be bent. Maybe you could find a set of factory 9" rear rims? It's hard to beat the stockers and the ITP C-Series would be another good choice, too.

Quick Reply: Rims?????