Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine 450 hits 60mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine 450 hits 60mph.

I would be very interested in what they have done, do you have the phone number of the shop that did the work, Iam still breaking mine in at 97 miles so I think it will be awhile before I tweak anything on this thing, its great so far. Check out this article http://atv.off-road.com/atv/ar...leDetail.jsp?id=190895 --- this is a great article on understanding the CVT tranny.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well we lined them up yesterday....I'm happy with the results. His is the exact same machine as mine, but stock. They are both 2006 wolverine 450's, and we are similar weights. Mine has a HMF pipe, dyno jet kit, k&n filter, and the hauck performance clutch work. From a stop, I pulled quite a ways ahead of him and kept pulling. He topped out in the high 40's (we were going into the wind), and I topped out @ 58. So I had a 10+ mph advantage on him.

Then after a few runs, he decided to pull out his 07 grizzly 700. I thought he would walk all over me like always, but surprisengly the wolverine held its own. Obviously his was still quicker, but he didnt just stomp me from start to finish like normal. I kept up with him until about 25- 30mph, and then he pulled a little. He was maybee 15 feet ahead when I hit 60, and he was doing 62mph, that time we were going with the wind so we topped out easier. He was still pulling a little on the top end because of the extra power, but it wasnt an all out slaughter like normal.

To say the least, I am very happy with the work. Total, I put about $1500 into my wolverine (parts, shipping costs and labor) but I have a totally new looking and performing machine. I busted all of my fenders up when I wrecked it, so replacing those was a little over $400 alone, plus I added a few other things that I will show in the pictures later. In performance parts, I have $230 in the pipe, $50 for the filter, $50 for the jets, $230 in the clutch work, and about $150 for the labor.....which in my eyes is nothing for the extra power I gained. Now I cant get the 500 big bore kit out of my head...lol.

Monroe motorsports did all the jetting and the install of the Hauck clutch, they told me about the whole setup. I guess they did the same mod to a Rhino and they gained nearly 20mph top end.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the bad part about the 500 kit is that you have to do the stroker crank then too(to make it the true 500) which means about 1100 in parts. You can do the 488 bbk which will only run you about 700 in parts plus labor.
So for 350 less you only get 12cc less

I cant wait to see the pics of yours back together.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

ctateusa1, you will definitely have to let me know how that 488 kit works out. Im very interested.

Before:

Now:

Name:  Picture002.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  63.9 KB

Here is the whole topic with all the pics:

Re-build

Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the black and chrome wheels, and it looks great blacked out with the se bodywork

Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

I just got an 07 wolverine 450 SE and i am impressed so far. Tell me anyone have any experience hill climbing with the new wolvies 450?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

I talked to a guy at Hauckperformance.com today, he told me what they do to the clutch to improve performance, I figured instead of trying to explain I'd just give their website and you all that want more take off and top speed out of your autos (CVT) can check with them -http://www.hauckperformance.com/ ----- he said all you need to do is remove the clutch and take the rollers out and clean ALL the grease all it and send it to them, cost is $100 plus return shipping -- sounds like a deal to me.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

LHUraptor350, I have climbed some good size hills at the silver lake sand dunes on my wolvy. Never had any problems, momentum is the key for big hill climbs, especially in sand. The wolverine has plenty of power to make it up most anything, depending on the terrain, traction may be an issue though. But like I said, with enough momentum, you can make it up anything.

WVWOLVERINE450, that is probably the same place that did my wolverines clutch. The shop manager at monroe motorsports just said the name, and I took it as "Hawk", but it very well could have been "Hauck". I will stop in tomorrow and get the information to be sure. And it wouldnt surprise me in the least if Monroe motorsports jacked up the price of the clutch work just to cover their *** for all the time they spent on my wolverine. They had it for almost a month going through everything trying to figure out why it wouldnt go over 46mph on their own time and dollar. All I know is it went a little over 50 before the pipe, filter, and jets and after they jetted it and gave it back, it wouldnt go over 46......so I made them keep it until they figured it out. And the clutch work definitely did the trick.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

I spoke to the Shop Manager at Monroe Motorsports, same guy told me what Hauck Performance did and gave me their number and website, I then called them and spoke to their shop manager, he said taking the clutch out was very easy and wouldnt take long and with little mechanic know-how I could easily do it myself and will try very soon. Ill hold off on the jet-kits and more than likely a power tip instead of the whole silencer. I hunt alot and wanted to make sure it wouldnt hurt my low-end and he said it will help ALOT and I should be very pleased, I got kinda excited lol. The time you pay for shipping to and from Wisconsin Iam looking at $130 total from here in West Virginia.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

BTW your Wolvy looks bad-azz, I planned on doing something similar, different wheels and with the Elka-shocks w/ red dual-rate springs.

Quick Reply: wolverine 450 hits 60mph.