Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Big Bore Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Big Bore Kit

I'm trying to find the big bore kit for a wolverine 450. "ctateusa1" can you tell me where to find it and is yours in yet ,how is it?

Old 11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

fourstroketech.net

Old 11-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Boss

Old 11-16-2007, 03:11 PM
ross.graziano

How much does it cost?

Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so far for the 488 kit which is being installed at the moment.(pain in the @$$ to pull everything apart especially the snorkel for the front of the clutch housing)

I have invested 711.00 in the kit and camshaft.
36.00 in antifreeze
and I dont know total cost on labor yet, hopefully I will know this afternoon.

If you dont want to have the total high cost in labor(due to machining the cases and having to press the factory sleeve out and bore the cylinder and press the new sleeve in, then bore the new sleeve to size.)
I would suggest getting a few other people to go in on a set of JE piston kits(you gotta buy four for them to set up tooling for it, and from then on they will produce it for the shelves.)

I am hoping to have some feedback by next week on the amount of power gained.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

Well I've ordered the kit from fst and have a guy here who will install. The estimate on install is $130 to do the sleeve and aprox. 600 in labor, and that's if I just drop off the whole quad. I'm gonna try and be adventerous and pull the engine myself. I also see that you have a ported and polished head is that already done or are you doing that at the same time as the kit insall. I've also talked to my guy about machining the clutch and he can problably do it to. So this bastard should problably have some *****.

Thanks for the quick reply Chris. Good looking quad by the way is it hard to keep clean?

Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Ok I have my head being ported and polished. The good thing about the wolvy is you can pull the top end off and leave the cases inside the frame if your guy is like mine and will do the case machining with it still in the quad.

Bad news on mine though I went to check on the wolvy to see if it was ready and the sleeve interferes with part of the cases so the have to modify the sleeve sent by FST so hopefully it will be ready tomorrow. I can already tell that the 200 I put down on labor will not be enough so I will see how much more it will be tomorrow.

As far as machining the clutch I would makesure that he knows what he is doing and has done them before, because I have no idea how much a new clutch basket would run and if you pull the basket and send it to hauck racing they will do it for 100.00 plus shipping.

As far as cleaning the wolvy, WHEN I get around to washing it I use superclean degreaser and then hand wash it. I will probably get different plastics someday but I will wait till I get done modding the wolvy first. Next on my list is either the hauck racing clutch machining, a performance CDI(if someone decides to make one soon) or a new carb(as the stock one will only be so good since it relys on the vacuum of the motor to operate it unlike a flat slide carb).

Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Ok well I got the wolvy out of the shop today, I will take some pics tonight as I start reassembly. I spent 550.00 on machine shop work.

Sleeve replacement and rebore
case modification(you have to clearance the cases for the sleeve to fit inside. the sleeve to fit inside the case and around an oil port)
Port and polish the head, replace the camshaft and valve springs(this is what all the shop did for my wolvy which I dropped off already disassembled)

So IF you are planning on doing the 488 kit to yours take these figures into your head
711.00 for the kit(including the 80.00 core for the cam)
50-60.00 for fluids and filter
550.00 for labor if you disassemble and reassemble yourself(higher if you pay for this service to be done by a shop)

Old 11-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

I can't wait to hear about your first ride impressions.