Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Gun headpipe/gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of gasket/silicone do/should I use to attach the head pipe? + feedback appreciated!

Old 01-08-2001, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hi temp copper auto parts sell it

Old 01-08-2001, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Gaskets?huh, silicone?what? anyhow I installed the full system on my raptor without any silicone and it sealed up fine(it just has to heat up and cool down for the metal to create its own seal), i did use the stock header gaskets but was unable to use the gasket that connects the silencer to the headpipe

Old 01-08-2001, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

The instructions from Big Gun says NOT to use the stock gasket to connect the silencer to the head pipe if you use the complete system, only use the gasket if you are going with the slip-on ONLY.

As far as the silicone on the exhaust ports goes, use the high temp copper (700 deg min) silicone. Big Gun says its just to add that 'extra seal', but it's not required if your using the stock exhaust port gaskets. I used the silicone anyway (since the instructions say to) and everything looks and sounds GOOD!

Old 01-08-2001, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

just to let you all know i was tould by big guns to use high temp silicone on muffler to head pipe but at the head side their pipe flange is smaller than stock so does not align very well, i was tould to just center it and tighen,but didn't like that idea,so then he tould me that they are making the correct size now with brackets for stock exhaust gards they are going to exchange pipe for pipe. make sure you take your stock exhaust port flange and compare it to your new one to see if it is the same size otherwise you might have a leaking problem later down the road

Old 01-08-2001, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

Dana,

So are you saying if you have the smaller diameter head pipe, that Big Gun will exchange it for a new one that's the same size as the stock head pipe diameter?

Old 01-08-2001, 10:46 PM
Range Rover

Dana,

So are you saying if you have the smaller diameter head pipe, that Big Gun will exchange it for a new one that's the same size as the stock head pipe diameter?

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2001, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

big gun will exchange pipe only if not used yet, that is what they told me so i sent it back

Old 01-10-2001, 07:50 PM
Range Rover

Big Gun told me I could send it back and they would cut and weld on the new type. However, he said unless it is WAY OFF CENTER you should have no problem. Mine has been checked by the dealer while it was getting rejetted and there is no sign of a leak what-so-ever. The said they ran the Baja 1000 with this same setup and had no problems. So, I think I'll just leave mine the way it is.