Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help My Blaster Motor Is blown or near Blown... Heres WHY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help My Blaster Motor Is blown or near Blown... Heres WHY!!!

hi,

I know everyone here is going to say something about this statement however... As rocksolid tthe blaster motor is it rides a very fine line between rock solid and a piece of crap...

If you have not done the oil pump block off mod.... do it now if you still have the chance....

Most blaster motors blow for 1 of 2 reasons with a 3rd not so common reason

1st most common reason.... clogged oil pump....
2nd most common reason... clogged carbeurator oil intake..
3rd uncommon reason... water enters motor via exhaust flange because 1. exhaust is loose.. or 2: after adding that fancy aftermarket exhaust you neglected to put the exhaust gasket in

Ok so since #3 is pretty obvious lets talk about number 1 and 2

you see before you go out and buy or rebuild your motor or have the shop do it...

check 2 things

1. your oil pump....
2. Your Carbeurator...<------ IMPORTANT

There are alternative ways of finding out which one is bad if not both... Usually if the carb is clogged.. so is the pump... however after you switch out to a new motor or a new pump please make sure to check carb first... here is why i say do this

I purchased a new but used 05 blaster motor to swap into my tricked out 2000, it ran perfect so no worries here...

swapping was easy, hell i could do it with my eyes closed....

Today I started her up for a nice 29 degree ride for a few hours...

At first i noticed issues with stalling, then it proceeded to a light clank.... then the kick starter got stuck... then unstuck, once im at this point i usually know its blown... the stuck is the piston expanding freezing against the side4 walls of the cylinder... while the unfreezing after a period of waiting in the cylinder cooling and piston reducing in swelling, leaving you withe the decieving ability that your motor didnt blow...

SO you kick it again... ahh and it starts, however you should pay attention when you kicked, do you here that sound that scrapping sound.. yes thats your piston wrenching up the side walls of your cylinder... oh yes and you may get it started.,.. however you will know its all over when you hear clanking....

and this is what happened to me.... as experienced I think I am... I failed to ever think the carbs oil intake could be clogged..... Always thinking the oil pump was the culprit...

ok i will also add the oil line must be bled when you reinstall.... i dont think it can cause a seizure... however according to yamaha engine damage can occur when there is air in the oil line...

Really please before you swap motors or rebuild please check the carb....

im a example i blew 2 motors in less then 2 weeks all because of a carbeurator...

Old 12-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

all the more reaso to ditch self pumps..and just mix it

Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

so far everyblaster i know of and my friends that have them pre mix them and take off the self mixer start at a mixing ratio of 20:1 and just use 24: 1 after a while its the mix ratio for a banshee but ... i noticed that blasters usually gum them selves up with too much oil so use the banshee ratio and see hopw it works if you have a load of smoke at top end while your toped out for a while its good but just use a little less maybe half a oz of what you put in

Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BansheeGuy69

so far everyblaster i know of and my friends that have them pre mix them and take off the self mixer start at a mixing ratio of 20:1 and just use 24: 1 after a while its the mix ratio for a banshee but ... i noticed that blasters usually gum them selves up with too much oil so use the banshee ratio and see hopw it works if you have a load of smoke at top end while your toped out for a while its good but just use a little less maybe half a oz of what you put in</end quote></div>

If you use a high quality oil(Such as AMSOIL Dominator or Interceptor), you can mix it at 42:1. The engine will be protected better, you will release less pollutants, and the engine run better.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

most peope use 24:1??? must be very different from the 250rs because many people with 250rs run 32:1

Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Always ran 32:1 in blaster and bro runs 32:1 in Shee. 24:1 seems little much.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

been there done that....twice

Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 AM
Trailblazer

My banshee likes 32:1 just fine. Think it depends on what oul you use.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

by the wayt, can't you just put premix in the oil tank AND the gas tank- that way oil+gas is injected into oil+gas- so the mixture can never get messed up, even if the oil injector fails. (im not sure if a failing oil injector would make it run lean though