Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Raptor 660 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 10:48 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2000 Raptor 660 won't start

My girlfriend has an extra Raptor 660. She just had it serviced after a year of neglect. It started multiple times with no trouble. It has aftermarket exhaust, and is loud as hell. So, we did not ride at our normal place due to noise.
We went to take it to a local park, and now it will not start. Turns over fine, but does not sound like it is getting any fuel.
Checked spark, and it seemed good.
Checked fuel out of the petcock, and it was flowing.
Was pretty sure fuel was good, but changed it out anyways.
I am not an engine person, but am mechanically inclined.
What else can I check before taking it in to get reamed with hourly charges
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-11-2007 | 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

You may have a sluggish battery after sitting for so long? I would try and jump start it to see if that is the problem. Good luck. I think you might have an 01 since that is the first year the model was available.

Old 12-11-2007 | 02:26 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

She was going off memory for the year. Likely is an 01.
The battery was on a trickle charger, and turns over the engine fine. So, I am confident that it is not the battery.

Old 12-11-2007 | 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Start with a new spark plug properly gapped.

Old 12-11-2007 | 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya id say if the battery is charged, you have spark, new plug. If that doesnt do it. Pull the carb off, take out the jets clean em out w/ carb cleaner and compressed air. Might be getting gas fromt he petcock but doesnt mean the carbs not plugged.

Old 12-12-2007 | 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Check to see if the carbs fell out of the intake boots. If it was just serviced, it's common for the mechanic not to assemble the carbs in the boot correctly and they fall out on the first bump in the road.

Old 12-12-2007 | 10:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I think I will get a chance to work on it this weekend. Is it difficult to open up the carbs? Any documented how-tos that you know of? Any special gotchas or special tools required?
The carbs appeared to be in the intake boots correctly.
I did not put a new plug in, but will. The one that was there looked pretty clean, and was getting spark. Not only that, it started super easy 3-4 weeks prior.
Thanks for your input.

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If those dont fix it, check the valve lash on the intake side. If they get too tight, the motor will lose lots of compression. The colder weather just made it worse, warmer weather can mask the loss of compression.

Old 12-17-2007 | 10:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I got to try a few things this past weekend. Unfortunately, the battery was now weak. My backup charger was dead. Before the battery was too weak to turn it over, I had gapped and put in a new plug. I don't think this was part of the problem. I will have another chance to work on it this weekend. It is located a ways away from me.
I am uncertain how to get at the carbs. Do you take off the plastic covering in order to get at it easier? I am fairly certain that the fuel is plugged. It seems like it could use a fuel filter just after the petcock.

Old 12-24-2007 | 01:55 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I was able to try to clear out the carbs. However, I was not comfortable taking everything apart without manuals or instructions.
Well, long story short. I did not do much if anything, yet it now starts.
Initially, it would only run with choke 75% or greater. After a little while, engine started to rev up, and I was able to back the choke off some, and adjust the idle a little. It is running pretty rough, but running. After running about 5 min, I noticed that the exhaust pipes right out of the engine were red-hot. I did not think that was normal, so I shut if off, hoping someone could give me some advice on this. My girlfriend bought it year and half ago, and has not really run it at all. It was serviced, and after service it seemed to run well, but was not significantly tested.
Does the raptor run better with higher octane fuel? It has 87 octane in it now.
Any ideas on why it would get so hot in the exhaust?
It has a white brothers e series aftermarket exhaust on it.
Thanks. Have a great Christmas.

Quick Reply: 2000 Raptor 660 won't start