Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A Docotr in the HOUSE.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Docotr in the HOUSE.

I just Bought this 1997 Yamaha Blaster with some mods done to it about 2 weeks ago. it ran exelent untill one night i decided to take it up and down my block when suddenly i loose alot of power and it wont rev up a minute later it dies .. and i have a look at my fatty exhust and its glowing RED HOT.
I waited for 10-15 minutes before i tryied to start it again and the piston i guess was siezed/jammed.
i then pushed it home and tryied to move the kick start, wich then finnaly budged with an ugly scratching sound comeing from the engine. it also felt like there was no commpression like there used to be. it has crank case oil i do mix my own oil/gas to the correct ratio i also bought a new spark plug problem still there.
maybe a gasket? ive been told.

-------------------------
" Why am i trying to live when im just living to die"

Old 12-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like you fubared your top end, probably seized the piston. Most likely because of running too lean, as suggested by the glowing red pipe. Was it rejetted for the aftermarket pipe?

Either way, you're going to have to tear into it to find out what's wrong for sure and get it running again.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

yes it has been jetted, although i did play with this **** that i thought would ajust the carb.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You seized her, time to rebuild it. That noise you heard was the call of help from your Blaster. Most likely your jug is scored and will need to be rebored. New piston and rings plus whatever else should be replaced when you do a top end on that model should have you back up and running.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man..thats why I'll never buy another two smoker,to many top end rebuilds back in the old dirt bike days lol

Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

did you pull the piston out of the cylinder?

any time you do you mess up the compression....the only way to fix it is new rings and hone the cylinder

Old 12-27-2007, 02:34 AM
Trailblazer

nope i havnt done anything yet. how much will this fix run me?
and how big of a headache will it be?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

big headache...just get rid of the 2-stroke...or as toddmh so put it, 2 smoker, haha, and prolly a couple hundred + labor i suppose

Old 01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, headache central!!! And who knows how long the re-build will last even?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know what you guys are talking about, if you treat a 2 stroke right it'll last forever. The neighbor's got an old polaris 2 stroke, the thing's 22 years old and on the original piston, rings, and everything else. It hasn't been sitting in the garage for 22 years either, this thing has been rode and put away wet. A 2 stroke won't just sieze up or blow up for no reason, something else has to go wrong (operator/maintenace error) to cause a problem like this.

Quick Reply: A Docotr in the HOUSE.