Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

A Docotr in the HOUSE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Docotr in the HOUSE.

You are really making it difficult to understand whats going on because you are jumping around from bike to bike, plus there are three different threads of your cluttered all together. If you would try to really clarify what is wrong with each bike individually it would be much easier for us to help you out.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

lol i agree with you. well anyways listen my 98 blaster wich i was originally talkin about , well the engine on it blew i am in the procces of getting it repaird.
now i have a 2005 blaster wich was running fine unitll one day it started to smoke alot i changed my crank case oil and my spark plug, but still it smoked alot . keep in mind the weather i was riding it was VERY COLD . i started it 3 days just to see if its still smoking it was it then suddenly made this winding noise that came from the engine i put the bike in gear the winding noise is still there. i even rode it for a little and it still made that noise and still smoked like hell. is my air/fuel mix off or is something wrong with my oil pump because i do not mix my own gas. the bike mixes its self.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

New possibilities.......

The oil should be plenty thin enough in those temps to allow for fair movement, but it might have been thick enough to slow the injection into the carb. The Noise could be the oil pump shelling on you, but I suspect the engine will be toast a lot quicker than explained. I'd certainly do a check on the oil pump (yep, that means pull the clutch cover) and while you're in there spend a couple of bucks on some sort of oil block off kit and do the job. It may be too late since you persisted while the noise still existed, but Might as well try and save it if at all possible.

The oil pump on these dudes is driven by a plastic gear. I'd bet in cold temps it gets brittle, and with the oil thicker due to temps being low, this could be disastrous. Never know.

So many people have shelled engines due to straight fuel, and from oil pumps quitting(typically from plastic gears breaking or losing teeth), and from clogged ports in the carb,.....Nothing is bullet proof, but knowing you mixed the fuel and that could be the only variable,..........that takes a few possibilities out of the mix huh?

Fella, I think you're learning some pretty expensive lessons. That doesn't mean you can't afford it. It just means you're gonna spend some money fixing this one and the other one.

Is there another one too?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

One of my buddies had an older Blaster that made that whining noise and he drained his crankcase oil and put some Bel-Ray Crank oil in there, ran it for a while, and changed it again, and all was well. On another note, ditch the oil injection and mix your own.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer

thats how my race quad is. i had it done as i was building my engine.
looking at my newer 2005 model i really would like to keep it stock and save the headackhe of mixing my own oil.
but you guys are on the dot exactly . if i mix my own oil i then know for sure 100% my engine is being lubed. the first thing i think of when my quad acts up is FK maybe the oil clogged to the motor.
now knowing the consequences of my oil pump going bad i might as well get me a block off kit and be on the safe side.
hey thanks so much i really appreciate this. you guys think you got a clue about what that winding noise is from. or why im leaking 2-cycle oil from this black tube comming out of my oil pump. ?