Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The BigBore/Stroker Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The BigBore/Stroker Kits

Alright guys, just doing some window shopping at the FST 446 big bore/stroker kit for the Warrior. After my recent mods, I am ready do go the whole nine yards. I just cannot find a quad that fits me and my style the way the Warrior does; so I am just going to have to max this thing out. I have been looking at the FST 446 kit and such, and I know its $650 (plus crank core), plus whatever I will get tied up in machine shop charges to get the case machined and cylinder bored/pressed.

Heres to the true question: exactly who will I be able to hang with, with this BB kit? My other mods are:
WebCam .430" lift
P&P Head
HMF Slipon/FMF Powerbomb Header
K&N Air Filter
Edelbrock Carb

Old 01-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the fst bbk in my wolvy 488 and its great. You should be able to hang with all the 400's and stay close(wont keep all the way up with I dont think the 450's.)

Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Depending on your gearing (I have 15 front & stock rear with 20" rear tires but could use a 16 front), you should be able to beat modified 400EX's and Z400's. When I say modified I mean 440 kits, cam, pipe, race fuel. You could be right there with stock 450's all the way even wide open top end. I dragraced a stock Honda 450R the other day and we were neck & neck then he pulled away about 3 bike lengths after 4th gear. I dragraced a stock YFZ450 and he pulled away from the start but I stayed within 3 bike lengths of him the whole 400ft. The way mine is set up it will run about 70mph top end. Me and the bone-stock YFZ were wide open one day for about 1 1/2 mile and I stayed at least 30 feet behind him (he should have been going around 73mph). He put a pipe on his now I can't stay with him as close.

I don't have the Edelbrock carb, but I do have larger valves, but those shouldn't make that much difference. I can pull wheelies in 5th gear by pulling up hard and can pull easy wheelies in 3rd by just nailing the gas. Keep in mind those wooly booger rear tires you have will slow you down a lot and if you keep them you may need to run 14/38 or you may get by with 15/38 gearing.

With this setup these little engines rev very fast and will keep the revs up no matter what you are doing. You can expect $500 in machine shop charges and don't forget FST recommends their $100 oil cooler kit with the 446.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I've got 14 front with 22" rears. I was really thinking about dropping back down to that 13t front since I have the 22's on the rear, as right now it just takes forever to get to 6th gear. Plus, by the time I will do this BB kit it will be spring/summer and I am going to slap some Razr2's on the rear anyway, so I will probably just go with 20's. Also, I was definately planning on getting the oil cooler. Do you have any specs on what all needs to be done to the cylinder and case, because the guy over here at the machine shop does me well, and he may give me a deal. I am highly considering just having him split the case for me, as that is a mess I really don't believe I want to get in to.

How do you hang with the 660s and 700's? Buddy of mine has a Predator 500 and I am curious as to how this will run with him. Best of all, if I drop another $2000 into this thing on suspension and the BB kit I still have less into it than he has in that thing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Also, how reliable has your BB kit been?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know how it does against the 660 or the 700, as I haven't raced or ridden with any of them. I will run it against my 660 when I get the chance and let you know how it does. I do know the 350 is gonna get smoked. To install the 446, you have to split the cases and have the windage tray ground down to clear the crank. Then the cases have to be bored to make room for the cylinder, then the new cylinder has to be pressed in and bored to the piston. I also had the machine shop install the fittings for the oil cooler into the clutch cover and he split the cases for me, cause I ain't messin' with that transmission either!

As far as reliability goes, I had some trouble with mine at first blowing the head gasket. I blew 2 gaskets and had the head and cylinder checked for warpage, which were fine. My machine shop told me that I had too much compression, so he opened the combustion chamber up some to relieve the compression and it has been fine since with no problems. I did lose some power, but at least I can ride it now. I would not recommend spending all that money on the 350. You will lose your butt if you try to sell it. I have mine for sale right now for $2500 and haven't even had a bite on it and I have over $5000 invested. I may could get more if I part the freakin' thing out on Ebay! It seems the 350 has been forgotten about with all the 450's of today! You can buy a nice completely stock '02-03 Raptor 660 for $2500 and have a better, faster bike than a highly modified Warrior and still have reverse, electric start and better suspension for half the money.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I know I can buy a new bike, or a newer bike, but I cannot stand the way they ride. Nothing fits my *** quite like a Warrior [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I don't plan on selling the Warrior. I figure it this way. I could go buy something different, yes, but it would also be bone stock again, most likely. Therefore I would have to spend the money on aftermarket parts, again. Not to mention, I have no idea how well taken care of that quad was before me. Or, I can stick with my Warrior, which I have had the motor torn down on, know it has a long, long life left in it, and has many parts already replaced. Plus, what will be better than whooping a 440EX's ***, on a "Warrior" ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (They don't have to know I have the 446 kit)

Also, is it possible to get a big bore kit without the stroked crank, or is that where the majority of the power comes from?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, but consider yourself warned. It is great whooping 440's on a Warrior. You ought to see the look on their face - they look like a whooped puppy with their tail tucked between their legs. They have a confused look on their face trying to figure out what just happened and wondering "what's wrong with my 440, cause I just got beat by a WARRIOR?!!" Now when I say "whoop" I don't mean you will just blow them away and beat them by 1/2 mile. You have to be on top of your game and don't be playing around to beat them. They will be right BEHIND you.

The biggest bore I have ever seen without a stroked crank is 366. The majority of the power (torque) and cc's does come from the crank. The FST crank is a whopping +10mm over stock!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Yeah, I figured I would have to go with that stroked crank to get 'er done, so to say. Hey, I appreciate the warning man, its nice to have people who have the experience with it, rather than someone just saying "oh yeah do it do it" for their own entertainment. I am really happy with how it is thus far, as I spanked a Predator 500, til we hit 4th gear, at least. This BBK is all dependant on how generous Uncle Sam is this year. As it stands, I should be getting almost $2000 back, so I should be able to get the bbk with ease. Stopped by and talked to my machine guy, and he said it will cost me $200 for the boring and sleeving of the cylinder, and $60 an hour on machining the case. He told me he would split the case for me too, but for hourly shop rates, so I am going to do some serious studying on that and decide what I want to do, or see how far I am comfortable taking it down to, to minimize what he has to do. He said between my parts and his labor I shouldn't have more than around $1300 into it, so that seemed pretty reasonable to me. I am assuming my WebCam will not create any issues with the 446 kit?

Also, what do you say about putting the 13tooth back on and running with my 22's? Will it be, dare I say it, too torquey, because I figure as long as I've got at least 60-65 at top end I am going to be satisfied there.

Quick Reply: The BigBore/Stroker Kits