Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should a blaster smoke alot in the cold!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Should a blaster smoke alot in the cold!!

Thanks for that link on the ratio TimberedWolf250
Rich/lean...I'm really confused, all I know is get rid of the oil injection
I found out the hard way!! $$$$

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: qsportgoat

on four strokes rich/ lean is about air and fuel ratio but when its 2 strokes we are talking about oil and gas</end quote></div>

Yes 4 strokes have air and fuel to determine the rich/lean mixture. 2 strokes have air, fuel, AND oil all in the equation.

Old 01-21-2008 | 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mdebuck

more oil means its richer more fuel means its leaner.....its like taking a cup of milk and putting a little bit of chocolate syrup in it ..ok nows its a little tasty but if you put more chocolate syrup in then it becomes to RICH to drink .....FYI the milk is the gas the chocolate syrup being your oil</end quote></div>

I said I was going to give up but I can't let it rest that easy. You must have talked to Mickey Mouse and he came up with that analogy about the milk. But I'll play along. Alright, you got a FULL glass of milk, the milk is portrayed as the gas. You want a 32:1 ratio of milk to chocolate with 32 parts milk to 1 part chocolate, and the chocolate portrayed as your oil. You start adding chocolate and what happens???? OH NO!!!! The milk spilled all over the table and now to achieve the 32:1 ratio you have to keep spilling the milk to add chocolate. What happens now? Now you still have a full glass of milk, BUT you have less milk than you started out with.

This is the same thing that happens with 1 drop of fuel. You could think of the full glass of milk as the drop of fuel. When you mix the oil into your fuel, the oil butts in and says to the fuel droplet "move over bitch". So now, as I said before, you have less fuel per drop than you started with, which makes a LEANER mixture. Maybe we need to call Mythbusters...........

Old 01-21-2008 | 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

raptor450, obviously you have no idea what your talkin about....i had to use milk as an example for the little kid you must be to think that a 50:1 ratio is richer than 32:1 we are talkin about a 2stroke and ok fine i'll put it this way lets say we take 32 gallons of fuel and we put 1 gallon of oil ok now theres goin to be more parts of oil in the mixture than there would be if we used 50 gallons of gas with 1 gallon of oil....MORE OIL MEANS RICH....now you do knwo what a gallon is right???? think about it

Old 01-22-2008 | 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

If that's the way you see it fine. I'm telling you that more oil means less fuel which means LEAN. I used to think exactly like you do and after talking to some intellegent people who know what they are talking about, I found out I was wrong. Maybe one day you will realize what I'm talking about.

How can you call me a kid? - I have been working on 2 strokes longer than you have been around. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree with other people.

Old 01-22-2008 | 02:28 AM
|
Trailblazer

lol you guys both right from what i see it.

Old 01-22-2008 | 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

so what's the outcome of the bike? what have you done so far to correct the issue?

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

well raptor450 my bad i get the idea that i know something and i'll argue till i'm blue......from my understanding i've always thought more fule in the mix meant lean and the more oil meant rich but hey i've only been workin on bikes for about 2 years now mainly my own......thats my understanding and i guess i'll have to ask the very inteligent people

Old 01-22-2008 | 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

MDEBUCK When I was 15 I thought I knew everything as well. Stick around and listen for a bit.

Oil is not a good combustable material like gas is. Therefore with more oil in the mix, there is less good combustables with the same amount of air, therefore LEAN.
With less oil in the mix there are more combustables with the same amount of air, therefore RICH.

Now before you argue back, yes oil will burn, but not nearly as well as gas, which is why when you are burning oil you will see it on the plug, because it isn't completly burnt.

Old 01-22-2008 | 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

well man what you guys say is assumingly right..... but then again what do i know i'm only 15 right??

Quick Reply: Should a blaster smoke alot in the cold!!