Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

dirt bike question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirt bike question

With my experience, both 2-strokes and 4-strokes have equal levels of maintenance required. You need to take care of both kinds, or things will go wrong on both kinds. I have a YZ250 bike, a Scrambler 400 2-stroke quad, and a YFZ450 4-stroke quad. I can vouch for this statement.

Listen to DesertViper. He seems to know his stuff.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

i've never fouled out a plug and a smart rider will bring at least 2 at min spark plugs just in case..but yes desertviper and klier i agree with you 2 110%

Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

my bad i was just speaking about my experince with my brothers, 04 kx 250. and my friends banshee. but sounds like viper knows his ****. so they must just have there bikes jetted in correctly, or dont keep them reved up enough because we do alot of trail riding and i have heard that will make you foul them up to.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for all the info, sounds like the yz is a little more bang for your buck, if you can find the proper ballance of your bike. Ive never owned a two stroke but id like to own own just to have and see how easy it is to rebuld the top end. Thanks for all the replys!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

You would have fun with a 2 stroke. If it's a little too high strung for your liking with trail riding, you can always purchase and install a flywheel weight so you can lug the motor in tight trails.

I've done single track/harescrambles with two fingers white on the clutch and staying in 1st gear almost the whole time, sometimes 2nd, and I've never fouled out a plug. Trails so tight you'd never get a quad through.

I think the TTR is electric start too, but don't quote me on that. The YZ is kick-start only. Both are good bikes for what they were built for. If you're looking to become more of a daredevil down the road, the YZ's suspension and power delivery won't let you down, that's for sure.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

whats up dude hey i have a question i also have a yamaha blaster carbon fiber reeds,80over boar,fmf pipes,18inch rear tires and i have also done some regearing.have you ever raced your atv aginst an 2strokr dirtbike

Old 05-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Only difference is the EPA is limiting the production of all 2-strokes (best power machines)(phasing them out) vs EPA friendly 4-strokes. Also, it takes about double the cc's in a 4-stroke to match a 2-stroke. YZ 250 will open up a can of whip azz on the ttr250. You will need a 450 4-stroke to match the power of that YZ 250....

Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

as having both bikes in my shop(so i'm speaking from experience) the ttr is a great trail bike, but thats just it, if all your going to do is trail ride its great, on the other hand, the yz has twice(if not more) power.... it depends on your riding skills, the yz may be the way to go, but if your a beginner on dirtbikes, i'd get the ttr... if your not you'll do fine on the yz, but if your alil nerves when it comes to power(in the powerband) that is very touchy your gonna wreck a few times before you get it down pat....

I've been ridin dirt bikes since I was 8, I like the yz alot better, but have recommended people for the trial bikes as there first bike, then later step up to the yz

on another note, the ttr has a headlight, so you can night ride, the yz dosent, so you have to duck tape a flashlight to the front to ride...lol(which is dangerous)
Dont get me wrong, I'm a 2 stroke fan, but for just out trial riding or mnt climbing the ttr is a much better choice..
my .02

Old 05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been using Torco GP-7 2 stroke oil since 1980. I have fouled 1 spark plug in that time and that was when Torco changed the formula for a month or so.

The YZ is a serious dirt bike the TTR is a foo foo dirt bike. Not a bad thing if all you want to do is putt around.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

fouled 1 plug in 28 years humm, i smell a fib.... if you mix your oil right n have everything tuned right you won't foul a plug that often, but its gonna happen, unless you change your plugsnother topic between every ride, but thats a

Quick Reply: dirt bike question