Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 450 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 450 questions

OH GOD, i wish i had this debate before i bought my 450...

If power is a concern, which it obviously is, go with big bore.. i could go on and on with reasoning and why every ride i wish i had more power. There are so many quads out there, figer out what you want out of a bike. the 450 may be it, but the fact that you are concerned with power tells me that you'll eventually be in the same boat as me. And TBH, it really pissed me off!

Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dynk450

OH GOD, i wish i had this debate before i bought my 450...
</end quote></div>

Are you 6'1" and 250lbs? Thats all the debate is about. The ATV is fine but lets face it it is physically smaller than most for a large person to live with and it has no cost reduction for its smaller frame size vs others.

The 450 has the same dimension as my Big Bear and this is my 150lb 5'7" cousin

riding it while I load a little 15hp Johnson. Now I put that outboard motor on my front rack beside my cass of beer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well, I have a 500 Honda Rubicon, and just bought the wife a 450 Griz. Price isn't an issue. Size wise, I got you beat by at least 50 lbs too... I will confirm the Griz is smaller than my Rubi, but that ain't all bad. It will go places my Rubi can't. Drivablility is much improved as well over the Honda. I do feel a little cramped on teh Griz, but that is because I have this gut thing going... But that is another story. Actually I do not think you can go wrong on either. I love my Honda. It is a work horse, I bought it for the Car like transmission/Torque converter because of it over a belt drive. I pull a lot of weight around my wood lot. Something that I NEED a solid rear axle to accomplish. For pure smooth riding, though, the Yamaha is a better ride with the IRS... and that comeing from somene who hates IRS. It works, I'll give you that.
Riding my Honda all day is a workout for sure. Of course I spend all my time in 4x4 mode... Also, I have to admit the Yamaha shifter is not as smooth as the Honda.. Probably just an adjustment issue, as it is still new. Both are bullet proff, and up to the task. Basically, I'd go with what you feel comfortable on and be happy with it.
I do have sport machines as well depending on my mood that day. But that is a whole new paradigm.