Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR FRONT TOO LIGHT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong i like the way it feels..but am i the only one who is having a hard time keeping the nose down..especially in the air..whats the trick with jumping thr Raptor? I am so use to 2 strokes

Raptor 2001 Blue
White Bros Eseries Pipe
Yamaha Shock covers

Past bikes
86 trx250r
89 lt250r (totaled!)
86 lt250r

Old 01-14-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I like mine very well except when it comes to serious hill climbing. My old 'shee would just keep spinning the wheels and either go or stop.
The Raptor wants to flip over the very instant the going gets tough. See my other post and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Old 01-14-2001, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

If the front end comes up when you are in the air tap your rear brake,the machine will plane right out.Also depending on the angle of the ramp and the angle of your landing zone you can sometimes roll off the throttle carefully after the front wheels leave the ground but before the rears do.Careful though it can send you into an uncorrectable endo. I usually only use that technique for landing on the downside of a ramp(like a double)NOT when landing on flat ground unless the takeoff ramp is very steep.
If your front comes up hillclimbing feather the clutch and keep your weight as far forward as you can,the gods will take care of the rest.
Whatever you do progress slowly you can't become a better rider from a hospital bed.Hope I helped.
88'250R many extras

Old 01-14-2001, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Bash I had a similar incident as you did yesterday. The only difference was that the hill I had climbed was shorter but almost vertical! Also you couldnt get much of a running start, I only had about 10 feet and thats really pushing it. The third try I made it up but only after standing it on end! Luckily I was riding it up on one knee to help get more weight up front so when it stood up I set my foot back and saved my raptor! With help of a buddy we got it back down on all 4. Very lucky cause there were a lot of big rocks that would have hurt myself and the raptor badly! Dont think I will be try that hill again to risky unless I change tires, they bite hard!! I like using the tires in the snow cause it gives excellent traction but for hillclimbs forget it.

Old 01-14-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tip...someone else told me with 4 stokes you have to leave the throttle on longer.I remember from my 250r that i could just give it a blurb of the throttle and that would set me sailing but with the raptor its different..still love it though

Raptor 2001 Blue

Old 01-14-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tip...someone else told me with 4 stokes you have to leave the throttle on longer.I remember from my 250r that i could just give it a blurb of the throttle and that would set me sailing but with the raptor its different..still love it though

Raptor 2001 Blue

Old 01-14-2001, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

do the heelgaurds really give you more room? Ineed it!

Old 01-14-2001, 04:44 PM
Trailblazer

When you jump are you usually standing or sitting?

Also my front end always noses when I jump. Is that because I let up the gas?

On Choke Cherry, at the St. Anthony sand dunes, I have to lean or the handle bars at the top to keep the front end down.

Thanks!!

Old 01-14-2001, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

rwalker I always stand in the attack position when jumping,knees slightly bent,elbows up and ready to shift my weight where need be.
If your front end is dropping try staying on the gas a little longer.If the front drops too much in the air to the point you might dump it you can actually bring the front back up slightly by hammering the throttle,the longer you are in the air the more effect it will have.

88' 250R many extras

Old 01-14-2001, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

It's all about throttle control. I let off right at the top of the jump. I sit down on my Raptor when I approach a jump at the dunes as long as I know it won't jar my back at the base of the hill/jump and I stand as I go off the jump. I jump farther and gives me more control in the air. If the jump has a sort of square edge at the base standing is a must. Both ways work, try it and see. I know St Anthonys doesn't have the razor edged jumps like Little Sahara in Utah does.

Quick Reply: RAPTOR FRONT TOO LIGHT?