Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak or Sportsman?????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 11:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking into buying a Kodiak or Polaris 500 H.O. Deal gets done on Monday the 16th, please help! Lay it on the line what should I do!!!!!!!!!

Captaintdf

Old 01-15-2001, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

Get the 500, More power is more fun. I would not buy below 500cc.

Old 01-15-2001, 08:34 AM
Range Rover

Monday is only the 15th, but anyway... I would say Kodiak, unless you like paying for expensive maintainance all the time, and like trying to lift a 700+ pound bike out of the mud. The sportsman is too heavy and way too many complex parts to break. I've been told that the Sportsman has almost 30 grease nipples.... just gives you an idea of how many moving parts to potentially wear out. Just my 2cents.

Old 01-15-2001, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

I'll say buy the sp500. I have a '99 with 1,400 mi. with no problems. Most of the guys I ride with have polaris with no problems. The other machine you mentioned will not perform in the mud or have near the ground clearance or the sportsman. Either would make a good machine but i think you would enjoy the sp 500 a lot more.

gardner10

Old 01-15-2001, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Simple answer KODIAK As some one stated the sportsman has to many moving parts to replace, and i understand the do have problems. The KODIAK is a much simpler set up, which i might add has just a good a ride or better. Easier to handle on the trails, much lighter , just as powerful as the sportsman. Best bet the KODIAK...

TAKE A TEST DRIVE , YOU'LL UNDERSTAND MY POINT...

Old 01-15-2001, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

If your looking for a durable, low maintenece, good performing quad. Get the Kodiak.
If your looking for a suppieror mudder, and don't mind high maintenence, and maybe alittle less durability. Get the Sportsman.

Rick

Old 01-15-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

But he will be able to just throw that 550+ Kodiak out of the mud? 400lbs or 1000lbs if your stuck you will need help to get out either way.
I ride all the time with a blue 2000 Kodiak and here is what I find the advantages of both are.

Kodiak Advantages:1. No gease fitting to do.
2. On tight trails it is a much nicer size to manuver around.
3.Nice gear selector.

Sportsman Advantagesnot a H.O keep in mind)
1. much smoother ride over rough terrain.
2.Ture 4wd ,I seen the Kodiak do the 3wd thing many times.
3.Power, I out accelerate the Kodiak up to my top speed of 55mph vs his 50mph.I just can imagine what the new H.O would do to it.

Do not worry about the power differance that much because the two machine are in a different class from each other.

Old 01-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

The fact that other bikes don't have grease fittings does not make them "no maintenance". After you go underwater in any vehicle the warm parts will suck cold water in. The superior greases we have today will make the parts last longer. I have had to replace swing arm, a arm, and other busings not to mention many rear bearings due to water seepage. Polaris just gives you a way to force the water out. If you don't submerge the machine you don't have to grease it very often, If you do you have a way to take care of it. I spent quite a bit of time putting grease fittings on my old machines. Your crankcase is fairly well sealed but you will find your oil contaminated after some deep water crossings. I like grease fittings.

Old 01-15-2001, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

The fact that other bikes don't have grease fittings does not make them "no maintenance". After you go underwater in any vehicle the warm parts will suck cold water in. The superior greases we have today will make the parts last longer. I have had to replace swing arm, a arm, and other busings not to mention many rear bearings due to water seepage. Polaris just gives you a way to force the water out. If you don't submerge the machine you don't have to grease it very often, If you do you have a way to take care of it. I spent quite a bit of time putting grease fittings on my old machines. Your crankcase is fairly well sealed but you will find your oil contaminated after some deep water crossings. I like grease fittings.

Old 01-15-2001, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell my brother John about the ''NO MAINTENANCE'' thing?He has a 97 King Quad and both rear wheel bearings needed to be replaced because you could'nt grease them,they were the 'NO MAINTENANCE' sealed bearings.Heck,at 400 dollars parts and labor for the repairs,that could of bought ALOT of grease on a Polaris,
Bill

Quick Reply: Kodiak or Sportsman?????????