Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Does anyone out there have a 90-96 warrior?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone out there have a 90-96 warrior?? HELP!

Would you be willing to test something on your wiring with a voltage meter?
I'm only getting 1.56 volts out of my starting circuit relay yellow wire with black stripe to the cdi box and I don't think that is right, it should be 12 volts I think. If anyone is willing to test their running warrior I would be very thankful!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

According to the diagram, the yellow/black wire is a ground that LEAVES the CDI going out to the starting circuit relay. All of the 2-tone wires on the CDI are ground (-). Power (+) comes in on the brown wire (12VDC).

Old 03-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have power coming in the brown wire 12v, but also power from the yellow and black wire when Im cranking the engine over?1.5v Do you know any way to test the cdi?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

1.5 VDC is nothing. If it's not at least 10 volts DC it's basically nothing. http://www.sandwizards.com/Service_Manuals/warrior.pdf I'm putting this here to study on this thread.

You have WAY more ground wires on your bike than you do power wires. Basically you are sending a bunch of ground wires as "signals" to the CDI to tell it what is going on. The key has to be on, the kill switch has to be on, the bike has to be in forward gear (not reverse), and either the clutch has to be pulled in or the bike has to be in neutral. Each of these devices sends a ground to the CDI to tell it "hey, I'm ready to fire!" If any one of these does not send a ground, you will get nothing out of the CDI because the CDI says " I ain't doing sh%t cause slowpoke reverse switch down there aint ready!" Here's how you check the CDI...

Neutral switch sends ground to the CDI on the white/black wire. If you don't have ground at the CDI on the white/black, somethings wrong with the neutral switch, neutral switch relay, or the reverse switch.

The key switch and the kill switch send a ground to the CDI on the black/white wire. If you don't have ground at the CDI on this wire, somethings wrong with either switch or they are not grounded properly.

The clutch switch has to send a ground to the CDI on the black/yellow wire. This is only needed when the bike is not in neutral.

To check for ground, put the voltmeter in volts DC and put the red lead on the + terminal of the battery. Put the black lead on the wire you are testing and if you have 12 Volts DC then you have a ground as well as a +.

If you have ground to all of theses wires, then the CDI is probably bad.

Make sure that each switch has a good ground - kill switch, reverse lever, and especially the engine. The main ground lead from the battery should go straight to the engine.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I tested them all and all are grounded. I guess Im going to take the cdi back to the yamaha shop and try to get another. I doubt that they will exchange it, its been since like June when I bought it..... Only thing I can think is my old wireing harness shorted it out? Thanks for all your help I will keep you posted!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Don't trash it just yet. There may be something I missed. If the engine is turning over you definately have ground coming out of the yellow/black wire, so you can rule that out.

You could try one other test - ground all of the wires that are supposed to be grounded going to the CDI and see what happens.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'll try that tomorrow and post the results. Thanks!