Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

LIGHTER THUMB THROTTLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIGHTER THUMB THROTTLE

Anybody know what you can do to make the tumb trottle lighter on a 08 Raptor 700 without useing a extender? I'v heard of [dare I say honda throttle] on the Yamaha. Has anybody done this or now of way to fix the stiff throttle lever?Thanks for any constructive input!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What are you talking about? The throttle on my 700 is super easy and butter smooth!!! If it was any lighter you wouldn't get any feedback from it at all. If you think the 700's throttle is too stiff, either yours is messed up or you need to do some thumb exercises. Maybe play the Xbox more or something lol.

As much travel as that throttle already has, I don't see how you can make it any lighter without making the lever itself longer (throttle extender). Even a different throttle assembly isn't going to make a difference. If it's any lighter that means you're just going to have to push it farther to get full throttle, or possibly make full throttle impossible.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

It could be just me but they have topic on this in the august issue of quad magazine for a yfz fix so i do think there is a problem with yamaha throttles beeing to stiff!!! My arm gets very sore after all day trip of riding. I never had this problem on my popo!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound like a lot for so little but these guys would know for sure..

http://www.raptorforum.com/

Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Thanks but I am on that forum allready.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Try J C Whitney , Pro Bass Shop or Gander MT i know one of these Mail order buissess carry an extension you bolt to the stock thumb throddle making it usable with the thumb and palm of the hand ; but be warned these conversion's can make it easier to get your throddle snagged by limb's sticking out into the trail's you may ride !

Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried lubing the throttle cable?.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

a lot of guys swap out the yfz throttle with a honda 400ex one... (I bought the 400ex throttle assy. but haven't put it on my yfz yet... ) I've never heard of anyone complain about a raptor's throttle... I'm not sure how it differs with the FI.... I don't know if a 400ex throttle would work...

Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The yfz throttle is a little stiffer due to the large carb it uses. I still feel that the stiffness of that throttle is hardly an issue, even with that large carb. The raptor seems much lighter, it takes hardly any effort at all to open up that throttle body. I think if it was any softer you'd have a hard time maintaining a steady throttle over rough terrain. You'd end up rapidly jabbing and releasing it as you bounce around.

I say man up and get used to it, but that's just my opinion.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

the only thing that comes to mind is what recon said. jerk off more get some hand muscles. X-box one of those things you use to get your fingers buff when playing the guitar

Quick Reply: LIGHTER THUMB THROTTLE